Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daytimedolly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2008, 08:46 PM
    Brittal bones?
    I've had really painful joints for a couple of years and had different doctors give give different answers. Arthritis, fibromialga, well about 8 weeks ago I had a fall and I think I broke my toe, swelling didn't and still hasn't gone down. My doctor is sending me for an exray as he thinks it could be brittal bones as I was also on steroids for about 15 years due to crohns and many operations including an permenate iliostomy. Do you think brittal bones could be my problem. Thanks
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

May 14, 2008, 10:30 PM
    That is too hard for anyone to say, given the info you provided. My sister inlaw has a form of brittle bone disease, she is pinned and rodded all through her body. I'm not sure if you could elaborate and still receive a definitive answer here on helpdesk.
    Since your doctor has considered it to be a possibility, I would watch your step. Horrible thing that disease is, good luck to you Dolly! Good or bad news post an update to tell how it works out.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

May 14, 2008, 10:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by daytimedolly
    ive had really painful joints 4 a couple of years and had different doctors give give different answers. arthritis, fibromialga, well about 8 weeks ago i had a fall and i think i broke my toe, swelling didnt and still hasnt gone down. My doctor is sending me for an exray as he thinks it could be brittal bones as i was also on steriods for about 15 years due to crohns and many operations including an permenate iliostomy. do you think brittal bones could be my problem. thanks
    Yes, chronic steroid use can be a risk factor for osteoporosis - actually a condition of low bone density that means the bones are more prone to fracture under trauma compared to bones of normal density.

Osteoporosis is not related to joint pain or arthritis.

Your crohn's disease also puts you at risk for nutritional deficiencies such as a low calcium or low vitamin d, both conditions can also lead to osteoporosis.

Other risk factors for osteoporosis include tobacco use, alcohol use, low weight, older age, post menopausal status.

You should talk to your doctor about having a bone density test.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spare Rib Bones [ 6 Answers ]

Can dogs eat these type of bones?

Puppies and bones [ 4 Answers ]

What kind of real bones are safe to give to a puppy. Was always told to never give dogs chicken bones because they can choke on them. So, we gave our 13 week old puppy a spare rib bone and we think he ate the entire thing in about a half hour. Is this even possible, and how dangerous is it? We...

Rawhide bones [ 2 Answers ]

I heard rawhide is not good for dogs. Is this true? If so, how come? Thanks everyone

View more questions Search