Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rachelane Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2008, 05:55 PM
    Thread breaking on beaded bracelets.
    I can only use Nymo thread to weave my small seads and others, but no matter what I use the thread breaks Not when I use a toggle. But when I use a small magnet. I had some luck with thread thimbles (but not always). I lately used Gold Fine French Wire and threaded my thread through it before I put the sead beads and small magnet over it. And if you can look at the picture you will see the thread is worn and broken. This bracelet is only a couple of weeks old.

I am dying to start selling my work and many people want to buy some but I daren't sell it.

Thanks.
    Attached Images

KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 14, 2008, 07:14 PM
    Just doing a quick search, I think you should be using wire rather than thread. Very few of the threading materials list test strength here. This page specifically mentions wire for bracelets and rings.

Beading Wire - Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

May 14, 2008, 07:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Just doing a quick search, I think you should be using wire rather than thread. Very few of the threading materials list test strength here. This page specifically mentions wire for bracelets and rings.

Beading Wire - Fire Mountain Gems and Beads
    Hi KISS... Many of the patterns I enjoy making require a size 11 needle and Nymo thread. I like making them because it is a lovely way to spend time. I don't want to do stringing because it is done too soon and the whole idea is to wile away the winter hours. I do Xmas ornament too. But I'd so like to solve the problem of the thread to make presents for all the gals in my family.
    Uber Member

May 14, 2008, 08:32 PM
    I found this and the tensile strength of Nylon is only about 2 lbs. That's like the weight of 2 cans of canned goods. Not a lot. And your thread is about the thickness of a human hair. Your really going to have to find a better material with a higher tensile strength.

See:

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/tech_d...on%20Chart.pdf

May 14, 2008, 08:40 PM
    .. and therein lies the problem, Anything thicker either won't go through the bead or it won't go through the needle. Thanks for trying, much appreciated.
    Uber Member

May 14, 2008, 09:08 PM
    This might work:

http://www.sailrite.com/

Search for "Tenara"

It's 8-10 lbs or about 4x what your using. It's slippery, so it should not break, but it's EXPENSIVE. They recommend a #16 needle. I suppose that's smaller than #11. You might be able to get a sample from W.L. Gore & Associates. It's made from PTFE the generic name for Teflon and if you have ever used Glide dental floss, you would know what strong is.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2008, 09:21 PM
    I have a spool of nylon thread, it reads 005, this thread is not as thick as a strand of my hair. I sewed up outdoor chair chushions with it so it is very strong. It is made by Coats and Clark , sold at walmart for a buck or so for a spool.
    Uber Member

May 14, 2008, 09:50 PM
    The needle stuff is nuts.

I found this too:

Fireline Beading Thread

And this

Bead Stringing -- Brandywine Jewelry Supply

EDIT: added 2nd URL

May 15, 2008, 05:02 AM
    Ok, I'll check this all out later.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking up with someone, heart breaking [ 4 Answers ]

Basically I've only been with my boyfriend for 2 months, but its not working for many reasons. I have a horrible feeling he is seriously taking advantage of me in many many ways and all he is after is sex and money. He says he loves me and I mean the world to him, he needs me, he adores me, his...

Ankle Bracelets [ 9 Answers ]

I just recently purchased an ankle bracelet. Which ankle is the correct ankle to wear the bracelet (anklet) on?:confused:

Beaded liner [ 2 Answers ]

I just purchased an above ground pool with a beaded liner and everything seemed to fit right into place until I started to add water and now it seems that the liner is to tight and is pulling down on the walls does anyone know what I might have done wrong? Please help

View more questions Search