Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bradym Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Paint the entire kitchen cabinet?
    I am considering painting my kitchen cabinets. I have never done this and have been searching for info on the internet. While I have found numerous sites that discuss how to prep and paint them, I could not determine this: Do I paint the entire kitchen cabinet (meaning the inside) or do I just paint the doors and frame pieces that show when the cabinet doors are closed. Needlessly to say, I am scared to do the wrong thing as I am painting because my cabinets look bad and I can't afford to replace them and I would hate to make them look worse.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 14, 2008, 04:41 PM
    I have done this in several of my houses and always turns out just great. Make sure you wash all grease and stains of doors, lightly sand, but not much or will show after painting.. All doors must be taken off, hardware off and paint front and pack and frames. There are several good paints and colours nowadays in the Melamine line that work well for keeping clean.
    MarionH5 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2008, 05:49 PM
    I just finished painting my cupboards and they turned out great. Make sure they are clean and free from grease and fill in any areas that are damaged. I used Varathane Colours in Plastic with a small foam roller. It was easy to use and rolled on super smooth with no bubbles or streaks. The inside of the cupboard door I used one coat, while the outside door and all the visible frame I used two coats for a nice shiny finished look. The cleanup for this is like cleaning up oil paint, so make sure you have mineral spirits or turpentine on hand. I also wore disposable latex gloves to protect my hands, and lined the tray that comes with the foam roller kit in tin foil.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

May 15, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Spraying them gives much better results than a roller and brush. I would use a good oil based primer after cleaning them then a top coat of a high quality oil based paint. I used a satin enamel and a air-less sprayer on mine and it looks really good, everyone thought I got new cabinets. I did inside and out and recommend it, especially if your spraying. I removed all the doors and hardware and set-up a spray shop in my garage to paint all the doors and drawers.
    Shell_Lee Posts: 83, Reputation: 10

May 15, 2008, 10:12 AM
    I am in the process of painting my kitchen cabinets right now. I have the upper cabinets done and have to do the bottom one's yet.

My husband and I painted the entire cabinet (inside and out) We were wondering the same thing about it though as you. I guess it's personal preference. I think it looks a lot nicer to have the inside and outside painted though.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 15, 2008, 11:35 AM
    The outside is the most important to get right and the interior is optional. I add Flotrol to my paint to help it flash and get creamy smooth. Flotrol - Google Search
    greenlevon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2008, 11:46 AM
    What is the painters estimate for painting 50 doors?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 15, 2008, 01:15 PM
    Green, is this a totally new question or related to Brady's original question?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painting kitchen cabinet doors [ 22 Answers ]

I am ready to paint my wood kitchen cabinet doors. They have been removed sanded and ready to go. I will be spraying with air spray gun. I have compressor and gun with, of course, a moisture filter in line. I need suggestion on what primers and with what type of paint, thinner if needed and what...

Kitchen paint decorating [ 2 Answers ]

We're refacing cabinets with Doormark wild apple (brownish-red cherry) cabinets. We have light oak floor & bordeaux granite (darkish - brown/red/black) countertops. What paint color is suggested between cabinets and countertop? We also have an island with picture-framed sides to be painted. ...

Under kitchen cabinet lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I bought two sets of touch sensitive under cabinet kitchen light set put them in but one set keeps flashing then stops all together I've replaced the transformer and the touch switch but the wires in the six port connector, when you move the wires there the light go out two which one you touch ....

Kitchen cabinet lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I've purchased hampton bay under cabinet lighting and the sets are limited to up to 200watts. If I have 2 sets can I splice the 3 setting dimmer switch to activate the 2 mutiple outlet strips?

View more questions Search