Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AlittleKnowldge Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Double Trapped Shower Drain (in China!)
    Hi, and thanks in advance for your help. I'm an american living in China, and I just recently had my new apartment remodeled, including the bathroom.

Many of the buildings in China (including my old apartment building) do not have p traps because the building contractors saved money by not installing them. I asked my building management company if my new building had p-traps and they answered resoundingly "what's a p-trap?" which I took to mean that the building did not have any.

So my contractor installed an s-trap in my walk-in shower and now it drains very slowly. After trying to clear any blockage (there was none) I've determined that I've double trapped my shower drain. The new trap is cemented in, with 2' x2' natural slate tiles over it, and then the walls tiled covering the edges of the slate tiles. So removing the s-trap is a last resort option.

I've tried putting a small 1/4'' air tube into the airspace behind the first trap, but that has had limited success. If I blow into it for 10 seconds the drain starts to flow naturally, and I can hear air rushing out(? ) of the air tube, but then it starts to gurgle as water enters the air pipe, and then the drains stops flowing naturally. If I blow into it again for 10 seconds it starts to flow again. I know there's no blockage in the pipe because I can get it to flow naturally for about 15 seconds.

While I'm pretty positive that the problem is that it's double traped, I've been unable to verify that the building has p-traps. Is it possible that double-trapping is NOT the problem?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix a double trap without ripping apart the whole thing?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Cheers,

Russ

"A little knowledge proves again to be a very dangerous thing."
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 14, 2008, 05:06 PM
    Hey Russ, Your contractor should have been able to tell if the original drain was trapped and he is responsible for the fix unless you forced him to install a trap. A double trap will slow things down and is likely your problem but we don't know it's a double just yet. That contractor plumber should not have left the job if it wasn't working. Have you called him?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 15, 2008, 04:44 AM
    So my contractor installed an s-trap in my walk-in shower and now it drains very slowly. After trying to clear any blockage (there was none) I've determined that I've double trapped my shower drain. The new trap is cemented in, with 2' x2' natural slate tiles over it, and then the walls tiled covering the edges of the slate tiles. So removing the s-trap is a last resort option.
    I don't think it ever should have been installed in the first place. If you have double trapped your shower you have air locked the drain. Why didn't someone check to see if your fixtures were trapped before you went to that expense on installing a "S" trap, (which are illegal over here.) It's so simple. Take the strainers off the drain and run a stick down the bottpm. If it comes back with a wet area two or three inches then you're trapped.
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix a double trap without ripping apart the whole thing
    Russ, Ya don't "fix" a double trap situation. Ya just don't put one in the first place! Besides if there were no traps in China all the buildings would smell like crap from all the sewer gas that would be entering the building. Get yourself a plumber that understands drainage and venting, rip out that "S" trap and check to see if your place has traps and vents. Please let me know how you make out. Good luck, Tom
    AlittleKnowldge Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2008, 04:46 AM
    Hi guys,

I just wanted to give you a quick update. After much debate, we finally convinced the plumbing contractor that leaving it as it was was not an option. It really took quite a lot of convincing to git him to back down off the "so what if there's a big puddle" line of logic.

Anyway, he ripped everything he had installed out, and put it back in without a p drain, and now it drains well, and no odor is coming out.

Problem fixed! Thanks you two for your help!

Russ
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 10, 2008, 05:23 AM
    Glad you got fixed up Russ. If we can ever be of service we're as close as a click. Good luck over there! Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 10, 2008, 07:14 AM
    Contractors are alike world wide. They hate to redo their own work but sometimes it's the only answer. Removing the trap should have been a very simple 30 minute job. If he actually "he ripped everything he had installed out" he is in the bottom half of his class.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Double sink doesn't drain very well! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Guys,. So I put in a new double kitchen sink, and it's taking real long to drain!. The old single bowl sink was draining fine!! I put in PVC piping... and though I was good to go!. but it's not draining!. What's the problem?. A vent somewhere?. it wasn't clogged up before installing the...

Double trapped clothes washer [ 3 Answers ]

We bought a house 10 years ago with the clothes washer in the basement. The drain line ran to a (dedicated) trap just before entering the main septic line where it exits the foundation to the tank. We recently moved the washer to the first floor and I ran the drain approx 45 feet to connect with...

Sewer drain smell trapped in my house [ 2 Answers ]

We had a sewer drain clog in the basement of our home. It was flushed, but a foul smell is trapped in the family rm./bsmt. Area and is now throughout the entire first floor area of our home. How do I get rid of this awful smell?

Is trapped drain in basement an alternative to sump pump? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I have groundwater entering my basement during storms at one single point in the floor, and at no other place currently. It is earthen in the small area where the water enters. I can pinpoint the point of entrace with a pencil tip! The water drains down a worn channel about one foot in...

Double drain [ 3 Answers ]

I have a sink in the basement attached to the drain pipe for the unstairs kitchen sink. There is a vent pipe in the basement sink between the sink and the main drain of the upstairs drain/vent pipe. The basement vent stops at the floor joist. When the upstairs sink is drained after doing dishes...

View more questions Search