Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ttara81 Posts: 161, Reputation: 9

May 14, 2008, 02:02 PM
    Can't connect--Error 680--No Dial Tone
    My computer has always worked just fine. I take good proper care of it and scan for viruses everyday. I use dial-up (NetZero is the ISP) and the other night, my husband had just connected and walked away. We were in the living room when we heard the modem dialing up and reconnecting again. This happened about 3 times, the computer kept disconnecting and the modem kept reconnecting. Well finally, he just disconnected and went to bed. **I had just used the computer earlier that day and everything was just fine**

About 2 hrs later, I went to get online and when I click "connect" using my ISP, it tries to connect but says that NetZero cannot detect a dial tone and reads the error 680. I have googled this problem (from another computer) and I have tried everything possible that has been suggested. Checked all the phone lines, changed settings, removed and reinstalled the modem, and I have queried the modem under "diagnostics" and it says the device is working properly. I don't know what else to do!! I don't want to have to send my CPU for repairs if it was something minor that I could have fixed myself.

Any suggestions? Please help! I'm going Nuttttsssss! :mad:

Thanks in advance!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 14, 2008, 02:39 PM
    Try rebooting your computer. Mine does this all the time and the quick fix is rebooting the danged thing as I have a dial up modem as well. Pesky thing.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 14, 2008, 05:41 PM
    Take the cord that your using from the modem to the wall and connect it to another phone and wiggle the cords at each end while listening to the phone.

May 20, 2008, 11:27 AM
    Thank you to you both for answering my problem. However, I have done both of these things! I have done everything possible I can come up with to solve the problem. Now, I'm just going to replace the modem and see if that works. And if not, I don't have a clue what could be going on... it may be a while before I can get back on here to let you guys know what happened because I'm having to use the computer at the library, but I'll let you know if the modem was the problem!

Thanks you!
    keepsmile30 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2008, 09:46 AM
    Salaam
    U really don't need to replace the modem.Just do what I say
    1-go to the my computer properties chosse hardware tab and then chose device manager option
    2-A new window will open now seek the modem option double click on that option.
    3-A sub menu will open.
    4-Now go to the properties of that sub menu
    5-another window will open
    6-Now chose the modem tab and set maximum port speed at 19200
    If this trick will not work then tell me I have another trick much easier than this
    But basically proble 680 comes from it.
    keepsmile30 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2008, 09:49 AM
    I am 100% sure that if you do this trick you will never face this proble.
    If you have replaced your modem than just practicale it because in the future this problem can occur again even I myself have face this problem many times.

Jun 6, 2008, 01:11 PM
    Thanks for your support, however, I have already done this several times. I have contacted Dell and have troubleshooted EVERYTHING they have suggested, EXCEPT change the modem and I plan to change the modem this weekend. What's your other option? Maybe it's something I haven't done already, but I've messed with this computer so much that I'm ready to throw it out the window!!

Thanks again!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2008, 03:28 PM
    Just a thought. Have you checked the phone connectors inside the box on your house for any corrosion? My dial up goes fruity sometimes due to the corrosion build up on the screws inside the box. My son has to clean the screws at least yearly.

Jun 7, 2008, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    Just a thought. Have you checked the phone connectors inside the box on your house for any corrosion? My dial up goes fruity sometimes due to the corrosion build up on the screws inside the box. My son has to clean the screws at least yearly.

The phone jack is very old, however, I have hooked the computer up to 3 different phone jacks in the house, and... same problem.

Thanks for your advice... hopefully I can get the modem installed and see if that works... if not, I'm definitely throwing the 'puter out the window...

Thanks! Wish me luck!

Jun 27, 2008, 07:44 PM
    Just wanted to let you guys know that replacing the modem corrected my problem!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No dial tone [ 2 Answers ]

None of our phones are working; we get dead air. No calls coming (going right to voice mail) and not able to phone out. The odd thing is, we have high speed internet and that is working fine (connected to the phone line). How is this possible and do you have any suggestions? Very frustrated in...

Dial tone [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 2 phone jacks, I get a dial tone for 15 seconds then the recorded message saying "please hang up...." my wife tells me, that we blew a fuse in that room the other day. I have checked the connections and cleaned them. Any thoughts? Thom

No dial tone [ 1 Answers ]

No dial tone in my cordless phone! Jack connected to rogers box. Another phone connected to same box is working fine. Help

No dial tone [ 9 Answers ]

Can somebody help me with this. I just had my phoneline activated. However, when I lift the handset, no dial tone is present. But what's weird is that, I can receive incoming calls. Anybody else who shares my experience? Please give me some tips on how to resolve. Thanks in advance!

No dial tone [ 2 Answers ]

Over a couple of days my phone service deteriorated until there was nothing. Then, after a day, the ADSL came back (that's how I'm doing this) but not the dial tone. I unplugged all the phones and put them back one by one, but still nothing. Any suggesitons? Verizon is going to charge me...

View more questions Search