Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lagas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Gas Dryer/Hot water heater
    Last night I was attempting to hook up my gas dryer. Of course once I started this project I did not have all of the equipment (the gas connector pipe). Although I did test to see if the gas was working at the gas pipe near the dryer. It did and I immediately turned it off.

This morning the hot water heater is not working. Is there some correlation between me turning the gas line on and the pilot light going out? Please advise how start this project: first light pilot light for hot water or first hook up dryer... thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 14, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Before you anything, make sure the gas is out of the room. It's heavier than air and will congrigate in low places.

Hook up everything. Then get some gas leak detector spray and check for leaks at all joints.

The lines will have to clear of air before you can light anything, so the dryer will take a while before it will successfully ignite.

It's possible that the opening of the gas valve distubed the flow in the pipe enough that the pilot went out. It's also possible that the pilot light lit some gas that you let out of the room and blew itself out.

Sources of ignition need to be removed before doing careless operations that you did like opening a gas valve into the air. Yes, it could have found it's way to the heater pilot or water heater pilot and EXPLODED.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 19 Answers ]

Just recently the pressure of our water in the house surges when we turn a faucet on, and the city water company verified that our pressure in the house when we open a faucet is higher than the pressure in the lines in the street, and after the water runs is at a normal pressure (meaning their...

Want to run a gas line from my water heater to new dryer [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a gas dryer for my new home and realized that there is NOT an existing gas hook-up in the laundry room. This room is off the garage and about 20 feet from my gas water heater. I was thinking of running a T off the line and running it to my dryer- and I have a couple of questions: 1....

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

Gas water heater & gas dryer [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into an duplex and purchased a gas dryer in excellent condition from a local thrift store. My trouble is, I don't see anywhere to hook the gas line (from the dryer up). It looks like there is just an electrical outlet. Can someone help? Isn't there some kind of two prong gas line...

View more questions Search