Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tboette Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2006, 11:47 AM
    Painting Kitchen Cabinets
    :( Two weeks ago, I decided to paint my kitchen cabinets. Unfortunately, I misread the directions I had obtained searching on the internet. I cleaned the cabinets really well with a degreaser, removed them all. My husband added trim. I sanded the new trim but didn’t sand the old varnish that was on them. I totally skipped over that part of the directions (not intentionally) and then applied two coats of primer to the cabinets, doors, and drawers. Then I painted everything a beautiful Moss Green with a Latex Semi Gloss paint (not the best choice either according to the “Paint Doctor”). However, the paint seems to be scratching quiet easily. I KNOW NOW that if they had been sanded the paint would have “taken” a lot better. Now I have a problem. I don’t want to have to strip the paint off and do this over again. This is an extremely tedious project that I do not wish to tackle again anytime soonL Please tell me what I can do to keep my cabinets protected. Is Polyurethane my only option? Or is there some other product out there that would be easier? If I have to use Poly, please explain what the steps are for applying the stuff. PLEASE HELP MEJ I am really about to lose my mind trying to make these cabinets “Perfect” and beautiful!!

:confused: :eek:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2006, 01:05 PM
    Is the paint on the trim where you sanded under it OK, but scratching easily over the old, unsanded varnish? If so you are correct that sanding would have made it stick better and not scratch as easily. I am afraid you may have no other choice that to remove it from all the unsanded areas and start again. Putting poly over it could only make it worse. The thicker the film, the easier it will chip and scratch if it didn't adhere to the surface under it. You could also have problems with likely an original oil base varnish, the latex, and then poly. That could lead to the alligatoring you often see on things that have been painted with different paint over the years.

Poly may have been a better choice, but if the latex is OK where you sanded under it, you might stick with it when you redo the cabinets.
    tboette Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2006, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Is the paint on the trim where you sanded under it OK, but scratching easily over the old, unsanded varnish? If so you are correct that sanding would have made it stick better and not scratch as easily. I am afraid you may have no other choice that to remove it from all the unsanded areas and start again. Putting poly over it could only make it worse. The thicker the film, the easier it will chip and scratch if it didn't adhere to the surface under it. You could also have problems with likely an original oil base varnish, the latex, and then poly. That could lead to the alligatoring you often see on things that have been painted with different paint over the years.

Poly may have been a better choice, but if the latex is OK where you sanded under it, you might stick with it when you redo the cabinets.
    I did put primer on them, do you think the paint just isn't completely dry? It has only been about 24 hours.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2006, 02:28 PM
    I wasn't sure I understood the question originally, and am less so now. New paint is always going to be more tender at first. Is the scratching the same all over, or just a problem where you didn't sand the varnish first?
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Feb 24, 2006, 03:56 PM
    Did you prime and then paint all in the same day? What did the primer say as how long to wait before top coating? Is the paint scratching from the primer or are all layers scratching from the wood?
    Just because semi-gloss is dry to the touch doesn't mean its fully dry. Touch up the scratches and be very careful around the cabinets for the next couple days. The cabinets should be OK when the paint is thouroughly cured. Also high humidity in the house will make the paint take longer to cure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spray painting kitchen cabinets? [ 6 Answers ]

Does automotive paint work well for kitchen cabinets? I have a regular spray gun, not hplv. If not what kind of paint should I use. I am painting over new MDF. Thanks.

Painting veneered kitchen cabinets [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to freshen up kitchen cabinets with paint. Cabinets are veneered wood outside surface.

Painting kitchen cabinets [ 1 Answers ]

Our kitchen cabinets are dark brown and I believe are made of formica. What is the best way to paint them? Do we need to use a deglosser on them? What is the best primer and paint to use? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Refinishing kitchen cabinets [ 3 Answers ]

Yes I want to paint my kitcen cabinets a light color (they are a verydark brown now)they have probably 4 coats of paint on them now I tried to strip them and was unsuccessful if I prime them and repaint them they will look terrible what should I do? I was considering maybe sanding but would really...

View more questions Search