Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justconfused16 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 08:32 PM
    She's happy--should I be?
    I don't know how to feel.

MY best friend and I dated for a short period, 22 days. It was great and everything went well; she was my first girlfriend. We broke up because, as she put it, "lack of chemistry". My fault, to be honest, she said she wanted to take things slow and I went a little overboard.

Now, it has been a little over three weeks and I'm still not "over" her. Yesterday, I found out that she still likes me too. The problem is, she's dating another guy. They've been dating for 17 days.

She's happy, as far as I'm aware--and we do talk a lot. We hang out everyday at our friend's house for three hours a day and then for an hour or two after that. We also talk on the phone most, if not all nights for at least an hour--we're close.

Her boyfriend and I don't get along and I've given my opinion of him to her before, but that was before they were dating. I know she cares about my opinion so I choose not to give it because I really don't know nor like him and even if I did I feel my opinion would be biased because I still have feelings for her.

He has said he is going to get her a "promise ring". It symbolizes that if they were older, he would want to be engaged to her but they're too young to be married or engaged.

Should I be happy for her? She is after all happy and that's all that should matter, right? I just want her to be happy but at the same time... I just don't know. In my opinion--two weeks is not long enough to decide that you want to be engaged to someone... but I don't know if that's me talking as a friend or as an ex-boyfriend/admirer...

Advice is appreciated...
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

May 15, 2008, 02:58 PM
    • You tried dating your best friend
    • You weren't compatible that way based on being in different "gears"
    • You broke up and stayed friends (AWESOME!)
    • She's dating someone else

That about right? Ok, well, friendship clearly works WAY better for you than intimacy. In fact, if you think about it, it's actually harder to be a good friend than a bad boyfriend.

Savor your friendship. Cherish it and don't filter your honest advice. As long as it is her well-being you are truly advising and not trying to secretly "get her back", then you're in a unique position to help her.

You'll always love her. Stop trying not to. Just don't over-romanticize it. Love feelings come on by themselves and you have no control over them. So, keep that in mind, don't let them make you crazy or spoil your friendship. Ignore them if you have to, but I hope you don't.

But you DO have control over good decisions. Your brief sojourn into dating ended quickly, but you kept your commitment to each other.

Awesome! Don't spoil it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

She's Here [ 15 Answers ]

Just wanted to give everyone an update Hanna was born Monday at 5:57 and weighed 6 lbs 4 oz we're both doing great. Thanks to everyone who had helped answer ALL my silly questions.

She's trying to take them [ 1 Answers ]

My ex is trying to take my sons out of state. Are there any North Carolina laws that can stop this from happening? I'm the non-custodial parent. I pay child-support and I play a major role in my sons lives.

She's Gone [ 1 Answers ]

My question is simple: I had this girlfriend right, she was the greatest part of my life and I loved her more than anything and still do. She was unhappy in the end of our relationship and left, it was only a year and a half long but she was my life for that whole period and now I don't know how...

Happy Passover, Happy Easter! [ 22 Answers ]

I just wanted to wish all my friends on the board greetings for the spring season... If you're Jewish like my family, a very Happy Pesach and Good Seder! If you're Christian, a very Happy Easter! If you have some other religious practice that I've missed, please add it here if you like,...

So she's gone [ 5 Answers ]

Sad distemperment realms my thoughts, knawing at my heart. No chance to falter and fall into dismalness, *poof* I appear in its hell before the wool burns from my eyelids. Searching the skyline for a horizon that won't come... a clear day sunset that no longer exsist at the end of my day. ...

View more questions Search