Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abasdeo850 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 01:47 PM
    401 K - Roll Over
    I just left my job and according to my statement I have a specific amount of money in my 401K which I would like to rollover. My past employer is saying that the amount that I have in my account is different(less) than what my account shows. This is because of the company vested schedule. . Advise

>Moved from Forum Help<
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 13, 2008, 05:41 PM
    Yes, if in your account they did matching funds, for example where I used to work they would match up to 3 percent of my income. So if I put in 50 dollars, they put in 50 dollars in matching funds.

But their 50 was not mine to take out, unless I worked there for a numer of years, for the first couple of years I would only get 25 percent of their share, after 3 to 4 I got 50 percent and after 5 years I would get it all.

So I was not "vested" till 5 years.

Now I only used my years for example each plan can have its own years.
    So all the money and interest you put in, would be yours but not all of the money they put in as matching will be yours till it is vested.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 13, 2008, 05:59 PM
    Vesting means that you aren't fully entitled to the company match until you have been with the company for a specified length of time. That time may vary from plan to plan. Lookat your last statement it should indicate your vested balance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roll Top Desk [ 13 Answers ]

My Wife locked the keys to our roll top desk inside the desk. How can I get it open?

Pay roll. [ 2 Answers ]

I'm thinking about getting into pay roll. How would I go about it? Is there anyway I could get my foot into the door? Thanks in advance. :D

Roll-up Cigarettes [ 9 Answers ]

I have been smoking roll-ups for about three years now. I find that I don't have any breathing problems or heart problems so I was wondering if manufactured cigarettes have something in them that make you ill, compared to roll-ups which are just tobacco and paper.

Ready to roll again! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi just trying to find a driving job that hires felonies. I can also be federal bonded. Looking for a job. Help me out. I live in the Augusta, Ga area. Thax

How do you roll your hips [ 3 Answers ]

All my friends dance at all the school dances. I don't because I can't really get into it. I just want to know a few moves so I don't look like an idiot just standing there. They all know how to roll their hips and that's mostly what they do. I want to know How do you roll your hips?

View more questions Search