Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gem07 Posts: 64, Reputation: 27

May 13, 2008, 01:07 PM
    Embarrassed to swim
    I've loved swimming ever since I was little. I've had a wide number of weight problems and emotional problems and am currently 5'3" and 257 lbs. I decided to start an exercise program and joined the local YMCA a few days ago. I bought a swimsuit, swimcap, goggles, lock, etc. I'm ready to begin. The thought of being in the water and swimming laps makes me deliriously happy. But whenever I try to go, I stop because I'm so embarrassed about coming out of the locker room and looking like a fat cow. I also fear getting into the water, looking stupid as I start swimming, getting tired after 1 lap, etc. How can I get over these fears?

May 15, 2008, 04:30 PM
    Does anyone have any thoughts or tips on combatting fears? I could really use the help!
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2008, 04:54 PM
    The only way to overcome your fear, is to face it head on.

Go through a check list.

Write down what the worst possible outcome of facing your fear might be, go ahead, think of as many as you can, and write them down.

So you end up with something like, people will make fun of me. OK, like that hasn't happened to you already in your life, and you made it through it, didn't you? I will look stupid. OK, maybe you will, but who cares, you are doing what it takes to better yourself, anyone who does that is NOT STUPID. People will laugh at me when I swim. OK, but you will be so busy swimming, and getting in shape, how will you notice?

The only person who can help you with you is you. Go for it, you've really got nothing to loose, but some weight and a body that may be a little out of shape, but hey, YOU have decided to do something about that now, haven't you!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Gem07... check into their water exercise classes. Most of those classses are comprised of over weight people, disabled and elderly. It may make you more comfortable than if you jump right in with buff slender people.

Also certain times of the day there are fewer people there. I know at our Y around 9 to 11 it is almost empty and around 1 to 3. That is Monday thu Friday... You could ask the workers what the off hours are during the weekend.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 15, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Ok, if you wear a thong or skinny two piece, you may well not want to come out, but if you wear a decent swim outfit there is nothing to be ashamed of.

May 15, 2008, 11:57 PM
    Thank you so much for the encouragement/ideas, I really needed it. I went to the Y today but did not yet find the courage to swim. I did, however, manage to fight some of my fear and get onto an elliptical trainer for 10 minutes. (I had to stop because I felt like I was going to die.) I made an appointment with a personal trainer for Monday! I have a 1-year membership and feel I can get down to a healthy BMI in that time. I'm going to make another attempt at swimming tomorrow. Will keep you posted and let you know if/when I achieve success.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

St. Maarten Dolfin swim [ 2 Answers ]

We are planning a cruise to the Caribbean in June 2006 and going to St. Thomas, Phillipsburg, St. Maarten, St. John, Antigua, St Lucia and Barbados. We would like to to the dolphin swim. Anyone done it? And if so, what do you think of it. Are there any other Must Do's or Must See's on any the...

Should I be embarrassed? [ 7 Answers ]

I am a virgin and for the first time I had oral sex and after when I went to the bathroom to clean up I had blood stain.. Is it possible for the hymen to break like this? If I saw the stains does that mean he saw them on his finger as well? It embarrasses me, but he never said anything about it.

New swim suit. [ 3 Answers ]

I've looked many places for a new bikini. I've seen things I like but nothing that I totally love. So if anyone finds a good site please let me know. To help you out here are a few details: last year my suit was light blue so I can't wear anything that color, I would prefer a top that has a...

Are Pomeranians allowed to swim in a pool? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I don't have a pomeranian, but planning that I might get a pom or another toy breed. I have a fairly large pool and I know dogs swim, but would a pom with such a coat be allowed to swim? Would it damage the fur or tangle it?

Embarrassed! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I have just started seeing someone sexually who loves to satisfy a woman through oral sex which I think is great! Unfortunately, I have never been able to orgasm through intercourse let alone oral sex. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy sex and I get well lubricated and love the feeling. However, I...

View more questions Search