Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Paralegal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Default Judgement to remove mortgage
    Hello: I am in Boston, MA and want to know:

Will a certified copy of the default judgement from land court (once recorded) remove the outstanding mortgage from the registry of deeds?

Thanks,

Lynda
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 13, 2008, 10:03 AM
    You need to explain this more. What does a default judgement have to do with remving the lien?
    Paralegal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 10:16 AM
    The default judgment states that the property is free and clear of any adverse claims as well as a discharge of the mortgage in question. The mortgage at issue had been fully paid many years ago. No response/answer. Ordered, Adjudged and Decreed that the Certificate is amended by expunging therefrom all reference to the mortgage.

Do I need to obtain a certified copy of the judgment and record same at the registry?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 13, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Let me see if I understand this. You sued someone who was trying to collect on a mortgage that was already paid. You won the suit by default and had the mortgage discharged. Now you want to register that discharge with the county clerk so the title will be free and clear.

Is that the story? If so, just take a copy of the judgement to the county clerk and file it.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 13, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Paralegal
    The default judgment states that the property is free and clear of any adverse claims as well as a discharge of the mortgage in question. The mortgage at issue had been fully paid many years ago. No response/answer. Ordered, Adjudged and Decreed that the Certificate is amended by expunging therefrom all reference to the mortgage.

Do I need to obtain a certified copy of the judgment and record same at the registry?
    Yes. A title search will not reveal the judgment. It has to be recorded with the county in order to act as notice to the public that there are no liens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unaware of default judgement /cause of judgement [ 2 Answers ]

A few days ago, my husband was called by a collection agency informing him of a default judgement of over $8,000 which he had no prior knowledge of. The default judgement was 12/2005. He was told that it was for a credit card he had in 1996. He sincerely believes that he was the victim of identity...

Mortgage default [ 2 Answers ]

What is the number of mortgages in default

Judgement by default [ 1 Answers ]

I was served with summons to appear in court - it is for my wife. Credit card balance about $1,200.00. My wife is not from the U.S. and is deathly afraid to go to court for this. She is here legally though and is a permanent resident. She has several cards that are past and I fear now that more...

Default Judgement [ 4 Answers ]

I entered into a agreement with a creditor to pay off an account I fell late on the payment and they entered a default and a judgement was ordered. I had paid 1,500 so far out of 5,000. They levied my bank account for 1,300 and now I'm afraid that they will seize my car. Can they do that if I...

View more questions Search