Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 12, 2008, 11:43 PM
    Optician Interview
    This job is for a front desk person at an Optical practice. Optical experience is preferred. I have five years of experience. I want to know what to do to get this one in the bag. Make it for SURE! I have been on 13 interviews and still no job! Can you believe that?

Another question. How do I let them know how much I am worth? The wage is DOE. I want them to know I want, need, and am worth at least $12 an hour... How do I accomplish this?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 13, 2008, 12:54 AM
    Hello, Mamma!

One thing that I like to do before an interview is find out as much about the company that I can so that I can ask or answer questions of them based upon what I already know. When I go into interviews, I am interviewing them as much as they are interviewing me.

I like to minimize the use of the word "me" or "I" and work things around with words like "we", "us", "together" and "team", so that they know that I am a team player.

You already know some of the questions that would be particular to the field in an interview. It might help us to help you the best, if you would list some of them and how you would typically respond. Maybe there is something that you have been saying as responses that could be put a better way? Don't know...

Asking questions about what's in it for you concerning salary or other things, is not something that you bring up during the interview, unless they ask you. Let them do it when you are chosen as a candidate.

It is late, and I am tired. I'm not sure what you mean by "DOE." Does it mean "dependent upon employment."

You need a job. If you show that you are outstanding and indispensable to an employer, it just might be that you could get a raise in shorter than the usual time.

That's my short take on this right now. I might have more to say, depending on how you and others respond.

Hopefully, others will come along to address your post.

[Edit] Another thought - DOE means Depending on Experience?
    Vision Expert

May 13, 2008, 01:05 AM
    DOE is dependent on experience.

And I don't really know what questions would be asked of me other than my ability and knowledge of pre-testing patients, insurance billings, lensometer use, and sales.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2008, 01:08 AM
    Do you know what is involved in the job description?
    Vision Expert

May 13, 2008, 01:10 AM
    Front desk work, insurance billing, selling glasses, and adjusting/repairing glasses.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2008, 01:18 AM
    So, you will be away from the desk some and not always at it?

Have you had experience doing insurance billing?
    Vision Expert

May 13, 2008, 01:21 AM
    Yes, only part of the job involves desk work. And yes, I have extensive insurance billing experience.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2008, 01:30 AM
    Thanks! What do you think you consider to be your strengths when working as a team with others in a optician's office?
    Vision Expert

May 13, 2008, 01:36 AM
    I'm a quick learner, and love to teach what I know.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2008, 01:41 AM
    Would you mind elaborating on that, please? What do you mean? Can you give some examples?

(I'm sure that you know what I'm doing here, Momma! :) )
    Uber Member

May 13, 2008, 01:43 AM
    Please remember that I did mention "team."
    Vision Expert

May 13, 2008, 01:46 AM
    I know exactly what you are doing. I hate role playing though. My boyfriend keeps trying to make me do it. And I want to punch him. I'm better at in-the-moment questions.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2008, 01:50 AM
    You know what, if you are going to get the job, you are going to have to look, act and feel like the one that is the perfect person for the job. The person or persons interviewing you are going to know as well as sense that. As far as you being prepared, you need to practice being prepared. And, it's not just practice that makes perfect, but perfect practice that makes perfect! Capech?
    Vision Expert

May 13, 2008, 01:53 AM
    I kind of feel that my whole career in this field has been practice for this interview.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2008, 02:02 AM
    And, your career has not been an interview! You've had more experience at your career than you have had at interviewing.

Let's see, your very bright, experienced enough for the job. Kind of quick and short with answers though, if you don't mind my saying. Just my observation. That may be a down point.

Can you prove during the interview that you are the best person for the job, can benefit the company the best and prove those things during an interview? Each interviewer will have different sets of questions than the other ones. Each employment situation, although similar, will have some big differences.

How else are you going to be prepared except by practicing for an actual interview?
    Vision Expert

May 13, 2008, 02:06 AM
    I just went through 13 interviews, trust me, I'm well practiced...

I'm not short and quick with answers on a real interview, I just don't like role playing.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2008, 02:11 AM
    Why do you think that you didn't land one of those jobs?
    Vision Expert

May 13, 2008, 02:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Why do you think that you didn't land one of those jobs?
    Three are still pending, and because I don't have experience for any of them. I went, did my best, put my experience and what I had to offer on the table, and hoped for the best. My field is very narrow, and very hard to find a job in. And that's why I want to do especially well on this interview.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2008, 02:22 AM
    Other than what the company might do for you, are you prepared with statements and questions as to how you might benefit the company?
    Vision Expert

May 13, 2008, 02:26 AM
    Yeah. My theory is just to say something to the efect of "Knowledge is power, and I use what I know to get the patient what they need and what they want at the same time. I want the patient and the doctor to be satisfied. The patient satisfied that they got what they liked and what they know they needed. And the doctor is satisfied that they patient is happy and healthy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ph.D interview [ 1 Answers ]

I've got Ph.D interviews tomorrow, I'm getting nervous. :eek: Has anyone got any last minute tips?

Interview one [ 2 Answers ]

Please describe a time when you had to overcome differences and resistances to bring groups of people together to achieve a common purpose. What did you do? *

Interview [ 6 Answers ]

How is the group interview at Bank Of America for a teller position? What kind of questions will they ask in front of everyone ? Will there be more than one person interviewing me help me I have to go for an interview on Monday the 22nd Can anyone who has actually been to one of these...

Interview [ 1 Answers ]

How do I answer an interview question asking me to describe my network trouibleshooting skills? :confused:

View more questions Search