Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ticobh2000 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 09:49 PM
    Is this d right combo?
    First time here and not sure how this works! Will try to add as much info as possible.
    An HVAC installer that was referred to me by a friend gave me an estimate last Saturday on replacing my 27 y.o. furnace and 8 y.o. outside unit. This is the third estimate and least expensive. The installer recommended either a 3ton Goodman 15 seer r410 unit (ssz140361a) w/ aepf303616 furnace for my 1500 s.f. end unit town home located in Silver Spring, MD. If I wanted a more efficient system he said I could have him install a 3 ton 16 seer r410 unit (ssz160361a) w/ the same furnace. I just saw on a wholesale website that the 16 seer package uses the aepf426016 furnace instead! Is he offering me something that does not match the outside unit? Or they'd both work but with different results?
    Also, he says my current outside unit is an undersized 2.5 ton, not right for my home (unit does cool average but heats very poorly. It was installed by the previous owner, by the way), which is the reason we're going 3 ton, as per his recommendation.
    When I asked him if he'd trust Goodman he said it's the one he's installed in his own home and I've read a lot of comments about the bad reliability of Goodman being related to poor installations.
    Am I getting the right equipment for my house? Should I go for the more expensive 16seer unit and save on my elec.bills instead of the 15seer? Is it recommended that I request a TXV installed or the system comes w/ it? I've read that heat pumps will require 2 valves. 1in, 1out.
    I'm more inclined to go with this estimate compared to the others due to the better pricing/current budget, referred installer and Goodman warranties. Unfortunately, I have to make a decision a.s.a.p. due to the condition of my current system.
    All and any help is deeply appreciated.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 12, 2008, 11:06 PM
    It is the installers responsibility to match the equipment.
    The difference between 15 and 16 SEER is not that much on savings. You will save big no matter what unit you buy because the other unit was old and a much lower SEER.

Usually expansion valves for that type equipment. Ask the installer if they are included from the factory.

Goodman makes pretty good stuff BUT Goodman is also sold to HACKS that no little or nothing about the HVAC industry. Most of the problems come from home owners buying Goodman off Ebay and installing it themselves or having a plumber/electrician buddy that has no idea what they are doing install the unit. Then the unit break and they blame it on the equipment and not the idiot installer.
    ticobh2000 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Tks for the info. I'm scheduled with a local HVAC company for an estimate this Monday. I hope they'll do a load calculation, which may help determine the right equipment for my house, I guess! Will update asap. Tks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rpj comfortmaker combo [ 1 Answers ]

Just changed the control module because not enough voltage was going to the ignitor plug. Then the glow plug needed changing. Worked great for a few days. My 4 yr old messed with the thermostat then the heat didn't work again. Pulled the plug on the furnace to reset, then took the batteries out of...

Switch/Outlet Combo [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing an under the sink water filter that needs a constant power source. The only outlet available under the sink is a single 2 outlet box wired to a switch above the counter for the garbage disposal. My question is how can I make one of the outlets hot for the filter all the time and the...

Ritalin LA-Zoloft combo [ 1 Answers ]

Is it safe to take Ritalin LA & Zoloft together?

Lite On Combo Drive [ 1 Answers ]

Having trouble finding the drivers for a Lite On Combo LTC-48161H dvd/rw drive.According to various Googling I've done,the driver download sites on the net,are either incomprehensible,or don't work.Even the manufacturers site does a 404! In other words,as things stand,the combo-drive does zip,and...

Is there any way to do this 3-way combo? [ 2 Answers ]

G'day guys. I'm attaching a diagram of what I have. Power comes to the box at the back wall in my kitchen. From there I have one switch to control the back porch light, and a 3-way switch that controls the kitchen lights. On the other wall, adjacent to the dining room, is the other 3-way...

View more questions Search