Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adjeane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 03:14 PM
    Received W2 for a state I've never worked or lived in
    At the beginning of 2007, I transferred from a store in South Carolina to a store in North Carolina. Shortly thereafter, I left this company. I received 3 W2's for this company. One from SC, one from NC, and then a third from NEW MEXICO?! I called HR and was told that their records say I worked at a store in New Mexico for a month in 2007. I've never worked in, lived in, or even visited the state of NM. I was then told, that I had to call the manager at the NM location and have him or her to call HR and verify that I never worked there. I called the store manager twice and asked him to do this. Every time I call HR I get the same run around. This has been going on for almost 5 months. I really need to file my taxes, but I have no idea how to make my former employer fix the mistake. Any suggestions?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 12, 2008, 11:57 PM
    Now the HR department may not help you. File your tax return.
    1. You must file NC tax return and report the income you earned when you were in NC.

2. You file NM tax return and claim the refund of the taxes, and attach a statement that you were never in NM to earn this income. If your NM income is less than the filing requirements, then you may not file if you don't care for the NM tax refund.

3. You will also file SC tax return depending upon you were in SC or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lived in NJ, Worked in NY [ 1 Answers ]

During summers last year(May - July 2007), I was in the US for an internship on an H-3 visa. I worked in NYC but stayed in NJ. I have received my W-2 forms. I want to know what all tax forms do I need to fill in order to file my federal and state tax returns. Am I eligible for 1040NR-EZ? Also do I...

Lived and worked in NY, lived in NJ worked in NY in 2007 [ 6 Answers ]

I know I should probably get an accountant for my takes this year, but I figured I would ask. For the first part of the year I lived and worked in NYC until August when I had an apartment in both NYC and NJ :( . Then for the rest of the year I lived in NJ and worked in NYC. I also started paying on...

Lived and Worked in two States [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I lived in Idaho from Jan. 06 through August 06. And in August moved to Utah, where I currently live. How do I file both my State and Federal Taxes?:confused: I understand that I will need to file in both States for state taxes... which form do I use... and are they pretty self...

Lived in NJ, worked in NY [ 5 Answers ]

Hi again ATE, I worked in a company in NY for 3 months on OPT (then moved to CA). But like many other people I was living in an apartment in NJ for 2 months (1 month in friends home). All my income was from my company in NY. Should I file for only NY state or for NJ state as well? ...

Lived and worked in different state than spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All, I apologize for the question: it's a complicated situation, and I'm afraid I'll have to pay for professional advice. But, in case somebody could help me, for free... :D , here is the situation: -husband and wife both work and live in MA. -husband gets a job in CT, while wife goes...

View more questions Search