Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tjhong Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 02:11 PM
    Tap left on, now ceiling below is leaking
    Hi there, how can I help to dry up the ceiling that is now leaking? My son left the bathroom tap on, drain in the sink was clogged, so water ran over counter onto floor, earlier this morning. Ceiling below has lots of water marks and there is one central location where the ceiling is very wet and dripping quite a bit.
    I would like to know if I need to pull the upstairs carpet up, to dry the floor. When you step on the carpet in the joining bedroom closet and hallway linen closet your feet get wet.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 12, 2008, 04:12 PM
    Get that water up ASAP. You have 24 hours before mold forms.

Use a wet vac and a disinfectant spray.

Pulling up the carpet is probably recommended. Doing it is probably a good idea.

Poke holes in the veiling where it is dripping.

You'll probably end up replacing the soggy ceiling.

Fan's and dehumidifies will help dry the place out.

You don't have much time.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 12, 2008, 07:21 PM
    You can usually pull up the carpet to dry it but the padding needs to be pitched out. Everything else listed by KISS is right on the money. Home owners insurance will frequently cover the drying out and replacement problems after the deductible.
    amsteube Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Dec 3, 2008, 10:25 PM
    Both answers are mostly correct. I would call my insurance first as they may send out a company that does a full service mitigation and repair. That being said, just because the insurance recommends a company you are under no obligation to use them.

The proper drying equipment to dry out a problem like this is very expensive so it's not something that you are likely to have.

This is what the company I work for uses:

Fans:
    For under carpet

For walls and unfinished floors

Dehumidifier:

The fans run about $225 and the dehu's about $3,000 so this is something you probably want done professionally.

Also the 24 hours before mold begins to grow is a little extreme. First of all, most mold is not dangerous to people. And second normally it can be wiped down with a bleach solution and killed/removed fairly easily. Carpet pad is normally disposed of because a) it's fairly cheap and b) it is very difficult to dry.

The best thing to do is to get a company that does this type of thing regularly involved. Companies like Paul Davis Restoration, ServPro, or Service Master.

Please don't hesitate to ask more questions, I deal with this type of thing everyday.

Hope this helps,

Aaron
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 4, 2008, 07:49 AM
    My son left the bathroom tap on, drain in the sink was clogged, so water ran over counter onto floor, earlier this morning.
    So now that we have the carpet issue settled lets fix what caused the problem in the first place. You have a clog in the lavatory drain arm in the wall. The solution would be to send a snake up into the wall after firstremoving the traps "J" bend, (see image) You bwill run into a elbo about 8 inches in but once around that you only have 5 or 6 feet more to go. Flush with a bowl of hot water. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking Ceiling [ 6 Answers ]

I've notice that while the shower is running on the second floor drips of water comes through my exhaust/light fixture bathroom on the first floor. I'm shocked because this is a new home and I've been here going on 2 years and I shouldn't have any problems let alone a plumbing problem. What could...

Shower leaking through to ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I live in a 2 story townhouse with the shower upstairs. A few days ago I replaced the Moen shower control handle (single) and splashplate behind it, and also the tub spout that has a diverter for the shower. All for cosmetic reasons only. There was a gap between the control handle...

Garage Ceiling Leaking [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know anything about plumbing. When I am starting shower on upper floor toilet then water start leaking on the garage ceiling. Where to start checking and how to start checking. Any help is very much appreciated.

Ceiling is leaking [ 2 Answers ]

My house is about 30 years old, moved in 13 years ago. The bathtub and toilet have overflowed a few times in two of the upstairs bathrooms. The water flows throughout the ceiling and even inside some of the double paned windows on the first floor. This has occurred since we moved in. Any amount of...

Ceiling started leaking [ 7 Answers ]

We heard water and looked up and our ceiling was leaking while my daughter was in the shower which is directly above where the leak was... I have no clue where to start and can't afford a plumber... HELP

View more questions Search