Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Janedoe16 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Theft diversion and a police clearance?
    Last October I was caught for stealing at Walmart and I went through the whole fingerprinting and court ordeal. I was accepted for diversion and I paid my fine.
    Now I am applying for a job that needs a police clearance. Will my diversion show up on this or the fact that I was caught stealing even though I wasn't convicted? I am really worried about this because I really need this job.
    Please anyone with advice or the same situation please let me know how your experience turned out.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2008, 11:31 AM
    You should contact the Diversion Services where your case was assigned.

They will be able to tell you exactly how this will effect what shows up on your record.

I believe that by accepting the Diversion, you admit to guilt, so in effect, you were convicted and offered a way to reduce the punishment or sentence for this crime.

Again, Diversion Services will have the answers you are seeking.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 12, 2008, 11:47 AM
    Generally a diversion is offered to 1st time offenders to perform probation to get their record expunged. If that's the case and you successfully completed the diversion, then you should have no criminal record.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 12, 2008, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by progunr
    You should contact the Diversion Services where your case was assigned.

They will be able to tell you exactly how this will effect what shows up on your record.

I believe that by accepting the Diversion, you admit to guilt, so in effect, you were convicted and offered a way to reduce the punishment or sentence for this crime.

Again, Diversion Services will have the answers you are seeking.

From Canadian criminal lawyer: "Defendants whose cases are diverted typically have to participate in a treatment or rehabilitation program. Since criminal charges are normally dropped when a defendant successfully completes a diversion program, diversion allows defendants to escape the stigma of a criminal conviction. "
    Janedoe16 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 10:03 PM
    Thanks so much everyone- I guess I will find out for sure on Thursday when I go to pick up my police clearance. Just a little bit stressful until then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under $5000 and Diversion Program [ 3 Answers ]

I was charged with theft under $5000 5 days ago and was required to attend the court one month later. I asked legal aids and I know there is a "Diversion Program" for 1st time offenders - I was told mostly you just need to make a charitable donation. I just wonder anyone knows how I should join...

During diversion period . [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , I was charged of theft under $5000 2 months ago. Then I was referred by the court to the Elizaberth Fry office for a diversion program. I have done all the proposals of the diversion program, but my next court date is in November, that means I am still in the diversion period. The question...

Pretrial diversion [ 1 Answers ]

Completed pre-trial diversion and case was dismissed. Will this show up on background check and if so, how will it show up?

Diversion what does this mean legally [ 1 Answers ]

What does diversion mean legally in terms of records

Theft Under $5000 - Diversion [ 3 Answers ]

In Ontario, would I be eligible for a diversion if it was a first offence apprehension of theft under $5,000. Totalling a bad judgment error. I have not received any police papers as of yet nor have I been fingerprinted and no officer was present.

View more questions Search