Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    booboobear Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Tooth fell out this morning
    :o
    Hello I'm really scared and I could use anyone's advice. So on Friday my son was in my arms as I was carrying him to bed. He hit me with his head while asleep in my front teeth. My left tooth is chipped, had been every since I could remember. So he hit me I felt it and when I looked at it the white upper part of my tooth near my gum broke off. SO just the white is gone a little and the rest is still there. Anyway where my tooth is chipped it also cracked a little so it's a little loose. This morning when I woke up my arm touched my nose area or somehthing and my chipped tooth that was hanging on just came off. SO know I have a missing front tooth and I spent all morning crying from 6 until 8 until I could call the doctor and they scheduled me for 8 am 2mrw morning. Although I only told them he hit me in the mouth and it chipped some more of my tooth and also might have cracked it a little because I think its lose and I'm scared it might come out. `which it did` :( so now I have a little piece of tooth the part that in your gums and it's a little black because obviously it needed a root canal... my question is what will they do? She said exrays and all yes that's a given but will they give me a temp tooth for the day or am I going to hve to wait or.. Also does medical cover things like that, but if not how much does a tooth cost.. :confused: PLease anyone help me, I really just wna cry so much but I live with my parents and brother at the moment and I don't want anyone to know. Ill be waiting . Thank you so so much!

:)
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2008, 11:28 AM
    Your dentist will have to examine you to determine what can be done, we won't be able to do that here.

There are many options from dental implant, to a nice crown, or even to rebuild the tooth if there is enough left for it to attach to.

I know it's scary, but you will just have to wait and see what happens after they get a good look at it.

May 12, 2008, 11:37 AM
    Thank you so much for answering... yes they will have to look. No my entire tooth is gone I have two pieces the front and back which are inside my gum ;} . So rebuilding is out although I have it still but I think it's a goner. Is crown like... ive seen some other peoples questions with denistry but they mention gettng a fake one , etc... is it possible they will offer anything or is there anyting they can do like give me come tempt tooth. I remember my mother once got a fake tooth I forget what she calls it. Can they call it in or am I going to hve to wait for my insurance to give the doctors the OK.. guess ill have to wait but if you have any7 thoughts please... ill be checking allllll daaayyyy ;{ gosh I
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2008, 11:47 AM
    What they will do will depend on your insurance and what is covered.

Most basic dental coverage will not cover replacement of the tooth.

Generally, they cover emergencies like extraction, but often don't cover fillings or cosmetic service.

If your insurance won't cover, you would have to pay the difference, to get an implant or crown.

I do wish you luck!
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

May 12, 2008, 12:26 PM
    It also depends on if you are Canada, America, or Britain. Britain and Canada have services that will pay for the full cost of the work. In the states, I believe there are places you can go to apply for emergency dental coverage. A front tooth is classified as little more than just cosmetic. I had a nightmare recently that something like this happened to me, I can only imagine how hard this is for you! If you find yourself cornered financially, maybe you can go to anyone and everyone that cares for you and sum up enough money to have this fixed pronto. I know also that it takes a few visits to repair or replace teeth. Good luck and please tell us how it worked out.

May 12, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Well I'm in California so you know also how much would it cost... as if now I have 1800+ id spend 800 on a tooth especially a front. Hmmm I will just have to wait until tomorrow just thought someone with experience in this could help me in knowing more. Although I am calmer just a little worried. But like I said I have that much and also I'm native americanso ill be going to chapade hopefully it works out OK. Haha bringing the tooth also. Really if anyone knows maybe ill Google on how much a tooth cost like I said I would hella pay 800 or whatever for it. Then I could get my life back... if anyone else more ecperienced with things like this... lemme know thank you
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2008, 05:31 PM
    Obviously the root of the tooth will have to be removed.

Your choices to replace that tooth would be an inexpensive plastic denture (comes in and out), you could do a bridge (crown both teeth beside the broken tooth and replace the missing tooth with a false porcelain one) or an implant. It will be your choice as to how you want to replace it. If you have other missing teeth on the top you might want to opt for a partial denture. If this broken tooth will be the only one you've lost then you might want to invest in a bridge or implant.

You can ask the dentist to make a false tooth and splint it to the teeth on either side as a temporary fix so you don't have to walk around with no tooth.

May 13, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Hello all,
    So I went to the dentist today and they are going to have to do a lot of work. I am waiting for them to call the give me an appointment. I will have to have an implant, they gave the three options mentioned above, I chose the implant. So ima have to go in for that. Then after I do that I will be going back do other things, extract ext.. Ehhh I still have no tooth but the girl is working on getting me an apointment for the implant and before she found I have to go to a direct place it was set for the 27th so that's soon for a new tooth... but she has to find somewhere else so hopefully its on the 20th lol... trying to be OK although I feel better knowing it will be fixed I don't want anyone to know I have no tooth ;} ehhh but yeah that's what's going on
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

May 13, 2008, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by booboobear
    Hello all,
    so i went to the dentist today and they are gna have to do a lot of work. i am waiting for them to call the give me an appointment. I will have to have an implant, they gave the three options mentioned above, i chose the implant. So ima have to go in for that. Then after i do that i will be going back do other things, extract ext.. Ehhh i still have no tooth but the girl is working on getting me an apointment for the implant and before she found i have to go to a direct place it was set for the 27th so thats soon for a new tooth...but she has to find somewhere else so hopefully its on the 20th lol...trying to be ok altho i feel better knowing it will be fixed i dont want anyone to know i have no tooth ;} ehhh but yeah thats whats going on
    ----------------------------------
    I wouldn't feel embarrassed with the people I know, only out in public. Because (as you know) strangers would assume that you never cared for your teeth, etc. The way that it happened was so innocent. I showed your story to my GF and she said "OMG, that poor woman." People would only relate to how unfortunate it all is. It's not like you were scrapping big Bertha in some drunken alley fight. LOL, I'm glad it is all going to work out.

May 13, 2008, 03:33 PM
    Yea I was thinking the same thing as you, about how it happened my son hitting me with his head. I don't think it would be anything but see my sons F and I aren't together and I've be talking to a friend of our fam who gets out of jail this week, its why I was also a little more freaked out. Im not going to have it by that time and I feel like I can tell him but then I don't want him to know until after I get it. Hes going to call me when he's out so I was thinking to tell him on the phone or just ignore him until my date of the implant. Ill answer just tell him I have something going on and ill see and tell you after this date or on this date..?. I still haven't heard from her(to give me the appt.) yet but I am calling at 4. I admit its going to be nice to acutally smile. LIke I said before my tooth was chipped from childhood and it cracked and got lose then came right off as I woke up because I touched my face too hard. So I've never really showed one ;}. It just sucks I have to wait for the implant and I'm without :D my front left tooth. Sometimes I still feel like crying especially having no one to talk to about this. I thank you so much for sharing your time with me. Like I said I can't stop to think about this amazing guy I feel it would be OK, but then again maybe I should mention it on the phone.. im just scared and I don't wna ignore him... and he knows where I stay although I stay with my family like I mentioned they don't know he's getting out so he won't come by.. ok well I'll check later.

:}
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2008, 03:37 PM
    booboobear,
    Did the dentist tell you how long it would take before a tooth would go on the implant?
    Normally the implant is placed and it has to heal to let the bone grow around it (this usually takes 4-6 months) before a crown is place. Is the dentist making something for you to wear for the time the implant and bone are fusing?
    precious221 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2010, 11:56 PM
    My tooth fell out this moring when I was eating sweets and my not lying
    kayacker06 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2010, 12:57 PM

Hi, this happened to my friend, losing the left front tooth and I don't know if they found their tooth but say if they didnt; what can a dentist do? Can they put a fake tooth? Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2010, 01:04 PM

If the tooth was lost root and all either an implant can be placed or the dentist can make a small denture with just that one tooth on it(commonly called a "flipper").

Jun 14, 2010, 01:21 PM

OK so they found their tooth but are really worried... so can a dentist put the tooth back in? The tooth is like completely out, there isn't like a part of it on the gum still... thanks everyone!!
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2010, 01:49 PM

If the tooth has been out for more than an hour I doubt anything can be done. The dentist might be able to splint the crown part in but will have to remove the root.
    When whole teeth fall out it is best to get to the dentist ASAP with the tooth tucked in your cheek or in a little bit of milk.

Jun 14, 2010, 01:53 PM

So can they put a "flipper tooth" in still or?
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2010, 01:54 PM

Yes they can but it can't be done in one visit.

Jun 14, 2010, 02:04 PM

Oh OK thanks, how long does it take?
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2010, 05:43 PM

It might take a week to 10 days.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tooth ache in rootcanal tooth? [ 8 Answers ]

In the last 2 days I have this dull pain in my tooth (really high up, in the gums). It only hurts when I walk or bend down. It is not painful when I drink or eat. I had a root canal on this tooth in 2005 and it has a permanent crown on it. I did have a cold a few weeks ago and was wondering if it...

Fell for the ex again [ 7 Answers ]

Ok, I've been with my ex for 1.5 years and she broke up with me for reasons that I took her for granted. So I stop talking to her and move on. I accept the fact that I took her for granted and promised myself to realize what I have before its gone. So a couple months go by and she ends up calling...

Condom fell off could she be pregnant? [ 5 Answers ]

I had sex the other day the condom fell off and we didn't notice until a few min later. I didn't ejaculate in her . Actually I didn't at all after finding out that it had come off . She says that her period is due to start in about 5 days from when it happened . We decided not to do the morning...

Does he fell the same way? [ 4 Answers ]

Please READ I know it will be long! I like this boy he is pretty gorgeous I say. Lol. I have liked him for like six months now. I sit next to him in one of my classes. My real name is Deirdre but he calls me Deirtree(someone else made that up only people in that class know that name. I only let...

View more questions Search