Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rama_rags Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Wrong Tax form filed but does not affect Tax!
    Hi

We are from India and my husband is working on a J1 visa as a Research Scholar in US since September 2005.He entered US as a J1 visa holder.

We got married in July 2007 in India and so as of December 2007 my husband had Married Status.My husband has filed a1040NR return for 2007... and claimed Personal exemption and standard deduction for him and claimed me(spouse) as a dependent in the return as spouse exemption option was not available in form 1040NR for Indian citizen.

But now after browsing on the net, I realise that since he has been in the US for more than 2 yrs on a J1 as a Research scholar, he can file 1040 instead of 1040NR.Please let me know as to what are the consequences of filing 1040NR instead of 1040.Will he get a refund based on the 1040NR return filed.Please advice.

Please revert asap
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 12, 2008, 09:47 AM
    On J1 as research scholar your husband was exempt for 2-years from FICA taxes as well federal income tax.
    In 2007, he must file resident tax return. So you will need to amend your tax return: File 1040X, with properly done resident return.

You claimed standard deduction on 1040NR, which is not available to the residents. Also on 1040NR, you cannot claim spouse as dependent. So chances are high that you will get a letter from IRS about your tax return with an additional tax bill.

Only F1 and J1 students can claim standard deduction and exemption for their spouse. It is not available to research scholars.
    For the U.S. and India Tax treaty, read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Treaties for Students and Apprentices

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filed wrong form, now what next? [ 2 Answers ]

I came to US in Oct 2007 on H1B and this is my first stay in US. I filed my tax return last month with 1040-EZ (With W7 for my wife) and got my refund back from IRS. But someone told me that I should have filed 1040-NREZ rather than 1040-EZ. Moreover, the maximum federal tax refund on...

Wrong Tax form filed by f-1 student. Filed 1040 instead of 1040NR. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am in a dilemma and I will really appreciate your help. I am a student/f-1 visa holder (non-resident alien). Last week I used an online website (File my taxes for FREE! with FreeTaxUSA) to file tax returns and realized that the website used Form 1040, and PA-40 - 2007 (for...

Wrong form filed! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I e-filed my 2007 tax returns, but I filed a wrong form. I filed form 1040 and this is the first year I qualified for EIC (because my income is within the limits w/ a qualifying child). I accidentally filed the form 8862 (EIC after disallowance) and was never disallowed because I never...

Filed Wrong Tax Form [ 3 Answers ]

Folks, I need some help. Here are quick details: -On F1 status for the past 4 years (Note: Also on F1 as of Dec 31 2006) -I'm working on OPT and earned US income -Also I have made some interest income through ING Savings account I used CINTAX to file my taxes and even on asking about my...

Filed wrong form [ 9 Answers ]

I'm a j1 student doing hospitality training right now. I filed 1040ez instead of 1040nr. I didn't know about that at all. What should I do? I filed tax return year in 2002 as well. But I don't know if I did right or wrong Because that time I received $3. my friend filed it for me. I was on F-1...

View more questions Search