Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    introuble Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2006, 02:02 PM
    Negative Remarks on credit report
    I recently paid off and/or settled several credit card accounts that were in collections. There is a $0 balance reflected on my credit report but I am wondering if it's possible to have all of the negative remarks removed to improve my score. I've gone through the credit bureaus and submitted disputes but that hasn't helped. Is there a legal way to remove the negatives? I would like to buy a new house within 1 year.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2006, 02:12 PM
    Sorry to say in short; no.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2006, 02:22 PM
    Use this example for items to dispute on credit report, it may help get some better answers.

[sender]
    [address]
    [city state zip]
    (credit file number, usually an SSN)
    (sender's date of birth)
    Trans Union Corporation
    Consumer Disclosure Center
    P. O. Box 390
    Springfield, PA 19064-0390
    800-916-8800
    [date].
    Re credit history correction request
    Greetings:
    Please correct the following items appearing on my credit report:
    (disputed item) is not my account.
    (disputed item) has been paid in full but the creditor has failed to provide you with this new information.
    (disputed item) is not valid because it's not my account. I requested a validation from this alleged creditor, but never receive it. This is a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and reporting this false information is a violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
    (disputed item) antedates the report by more than seven years.
    (disputed item) is incorrect. The corrected item should be "__________."
    Please correct your records and send me a copy of the amended report. If you fail or refuse to make these corrections within a reasonable time, I will promptly file a complaint against your organization with the Federal Trade Commission.
    Best regards,
    [sender]
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Feb 23, 2006, 09:10 PM
    If the negative comment is accurate- you *were* late in making payments- then it doesn't matter if you paid it off in full. You *were* late and the creditor feels it is their right and/or obligation to notify other potential creditors.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2006, 09:29 PM
    If the late payments are valid, they are to remain on your report, also if you reached a settlement but paid less than full, this normally will show up as such also.

If any of the info is not correct it can be corrected.

Only time will clear it up, plus adding a lot of good credit items to raise your score

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit report [ 11 Answers ]

On my credit report I have a collection agency that reported first in 1999 Just when that was about to be removed from my credit report they (the collection agency)sold the account to another collection agency who re-reported it and now it will be 7 more years before it will be removed.it is the...

Credit report [ 4 Answers ]

Does anybody now where to get a free credit report and score when you have no credit card to give them Thank you Demon

Credit report help [ 2 Answers ]

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania I was listed as an authorized user on a family member's credit card. This account has turned into a collection account and I found out that it has affected my credit report negatively. I want to get the fact straight before I decide whether I want to...

Judgment/Credit Report [ 1 Answers ]

I have a judgment on my credit report for October of 2000. This judgment was satified within one month of getting it. The only credit agency that is still reporting it is Equifax the other 2 have deleted it completely from my report. This judgment was filed while I was part of a small corporation,...

Reading my credit report [ 2 Answers ]

:mad: I recently requested a copy of my credit report because I had paid off some chargeoffs and bad debt. I am trying to determine when these accounts will drop off my report. There are 2 different dates for last activity and last payment. What date should I go by? Also, 2 accounts only list a...

View more questions Search