Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    agd61 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2008, 10:27 PM
    Tax payments work in nyc live in Nj
    Have a job offer. 150,000.00 per year. Live in NJ but the job is in NYC Manhattan. What percentage of taxes will be taken out of my check?

Thanks
    Agd
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

May 13, 2008, 07:34 AM
    You will receive a credit on the NJ return for the state income tax you pay to NY on your wages. However, as with anything involving taxes, it is not quite that simple.

If you live in one state (New Jersey) and work in another (New York) you must first pay state income tax to the state in which you work (New York) on the wages earned in that state. The non-resident state (New York) will not directly tax you on your other income (i.e. NJ wages and self-employment earnings, interest, dividends, capital gains, etc.).

The state where you live (New Jersey) will tax you on all of your taxable income from all sources, including wages earned in another state (New York). Your resident state (New Jersey) will allow you to claim a credit for any non-resident state income tax paid to another state (New York) on income taxed by both states.

You will have New York state income tax withheld from your wages. You will probably not have New Jersey state income tax withheld.

It is a little confusing, but there is no reciprocal agreement between New York and New Jersey.

Shirley

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Live in NH, work for MA company, if relocated to work from home, what about taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

Here is the situation: I currently live in NH and work for a MA company. So far I have been filing as non-resident MA tax. I have a possibility to relocate to my home in NH instead of the office in MA. Here are my questions: 1. Will MA taxes still be deducted from my pay? 2. Should I...

Live in PA but work in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

I live in PA but work in NJ. My payroll dept does take out PA state taxes but does not take out local taxes, I assume because there are no local taxes in NJ. My husband on the othre hand works in PA and has local taxes taken out for the township he works in. I am trying to figure out if I need...

Live in NJ but work in NY [ 1 Answers ]

The first half of 2007 I lived in NY and the second half in NJ. I currently live in NJ and work in NYC. I worked for 2 different employers. The W2 from my current employer (in NY) shows "State Wages" for both NY and NJ but only show State Income Tax for NY. The W2 from my previous employer,...

Live in PA and Work in NY [ 1 Answers ]

Will I still pay state taxes if I live in PA and work in NY?

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

View more questions Search