Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Iris440 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2008, 03:44 PM
    Aerator issue for Moen Faucet
    Hi. I have a Moen kitchen faucet that is missing the aerator (bought home with it) and what is at the end of the spout has no threads. There is a piece that comes off the end of the spout that 'clamps' onto a lip on the spout. Does this get replaced? I would like to install an aerator and/or water purifier to the faucet but cannot because of this issue. Can this be rectified or do I plain old need a new faucet? Please advise. Many thanks in advance! :)
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 11, 2008, 03:50 PM
    Hey Iris...

If there is anything attached at the end of the kitchen sink spout it is most likely attached onto the spout by some kind of threaded adapter.

You want to unwind this (remove clockwise... may need a pair of pliers to loosen)... then go out and purchase a universal aerator or water purifier as needed.

If I am wrong on this, let me know more info...

Sounds like there is a quick disconnect adapter for attaching a portable dishwasher..?

Model number of faucet... if possible... OR a picture would really help.

Let me know... MARK

May 11, 2008, 04:02 PM
    Thanks! You would think that there would be threads, however there aren't any. I had a handyman by yesterday working on another project and he removed this piece with a pair of vice pliers. It did not come off easily and he said he hoped he didn't ruin it. Lol (Using some pressure, it does go back onto the spout.) He, too, found that there were no threads and suggested taking the piece to my local hardware store and inquiring there as to whether it could be replaced? I thought I'd check here first.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 11, 2008, 04:04 PM
    Any chance of you posting a picture? If don't know how to post a picture, I can talk you through that.

Let me know... Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 11, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Iris440
    Thanks! You would think that there would be threads, however there aren't any. I had a handyman by yesterday working on another project and he removed this piece with a pair of vice pliers. It did not come off easily and he said he hoped he didn't ruin it. lol (Using some pressure, it does go back onto the spout.) He, too, found that there were no threads and suggested taking the piece to my local hardware store and inquiring there as to whether it could be replaced? I thought I'd check here first.
    Hey Iris, Moen spouts have INSIDE THREADS so you won't find them on the outside of the spout. Go down to the hardware store and purchase a aerator with outside threads and you'll be just fine

May 11, 2008, 04:59 PM
    Thanks but what I feel on the inside of the spout hardly feels like threads. I will give purchasing an aerator w/ outside threads a try however. Here are a couple of pics of the faucet and the piece that was removed. Thanks!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 11, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Just sent a PM regarding picture post... let us know... Mark

May 11, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Let's try the pics again.. .
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

May 11, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Have you tried to grab onto the black piece sticking out of the spout?

My guess is that that can be removed..

I would try by using a pair of needlenose pliers and see if can loosen clockwise...

Let me know... Mark

Otherwise, check back later and see if Speedball1 recognizes this... How old is this faucet..

I don't recognize the part Any Moen I ever worked with had threads on the spout and aerator. This almost looks like a slip in with a "O" ring. I never saw a Moen that looked like this. must be a new design. i'm going to the Moen product catalog and do some checkinhg. Tom

May 11, 2008, 05:37 PM
    I don't have a pair of needlenose pliers. In any case, I don't think I'd have the arm strength to remove it as I'm dealing w/ a rotator cuff injury that I'm having surgery on later this summer. I'll gladly pick up a pair of needlenose pliers and see if I can get someone to help and try to remove it. I'm guessing this looks odd to you. Hmmmmmm. :rolleyes:
    chia123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2015, 04:05 PM
    Do you happen to know the model number in the picture?

Using email
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 26, 2015, 04:24 PM
    Chia, this post is 7 years old, most everyone has moved on/
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 26, 2015, 05:55 PM
    Hi Chia

You don't need the model number... just contact Moen at 1800BUYMOEN and send them a picture of the faucet... they"ll tell you anything you want to know about the faucet!

Mark
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 26, 2015, 06:31 PM
    The generic aerators from big box store should fit

Milo

Sep 27, 2015, 10:43 AM
    Hi Milo - Just wondering what is big box store? It is homedeport or Wmart kind of stores

Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Chia

You don't need the model number... just contact Moen at 1800BUYMOEN and send them a picture of the faucet... they"ll tell you anything you want to know about the faucet!

Mark
    Thanks Mark - I need to replace the spout of the faucet as no water flow is coming out of the faucet after I replaced the O Ring. Something came out from the spout(plastic washer) as I removed the spout from the faucet. The side spray is still working as I turned on the faucet. Thanks..
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 27, 2015, 01:44 PM
    Chia123: Yes, Big Box store would be Home Depot or Lowe's type home improvement store

Milo

Sep 28, 2015, 08:50 AM
    I called Moen this morning and shown them the picture, but was told Moen no longer carrying parts for the Model 87511. Just wondering do you know where could I find
    Companies out there still carrying parts for the model 87511? Thanks..

Email

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Moen Faucet Stinks [ 2 Answers ]

Hello - I just completely remodeled 2 bathrooms in my house. In the master bathroom sink, I installed a new Moen faucet with 8-inch centers. Whenever I use this faucet, the water smells terrible. The smell is much worse on the hot side. The water is also slightly discolored when it is first...

Moen Faucet [ 1 Answers ]

Could you please tell me how to remove the plastic insert that covers up the stem screw in a moen faucet.

Moen faucet diverter [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old Moen single lever faucet in my kitchen. About one week ago, it started showing signs of a problem. When I turn it on after it hasn't been used for an hour or two, the water pressure is very low, almost none. If I turn it on and off a few times, then the pressure gets better....

Moen Faucet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Tom I found the site and registered but I still need my son to reduce the size of the pictures so I can attach them. He took the photo-editing software off my computer. I'll get back to you shortly. Thanks. Mark Ingham

Moen Faucet problems [ 3 Answers ]

The Moen faucet in my shower comes away from the wall when the shower is turned to hot and water is diverted through the shower head. How do I fix this problem?

View more questions Search