Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fredengle Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2008, 09:30 PM
    Hydraulics ?
    I have my garden hose connected to a soaping device my friend had suggested drillling 2 diagonal holes in the hose near the nozzle to aereate the soap

Like to hear if you have any ideas please...

Thank you
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 10, 2008, 10:17 PM
    I'm not quite clear as to what you are wanting to know here. Is the soaping device normally supposed to be connected to the hose? Or, is think some sort of home made set-up for cleaning?

May 11, 2008, 05:45 PM
    This is a home made soaping deivice has that has a straight hose stream nozzle I was wondering if drilling 2 holes in the hose near the nozzle would aerate the soap if they were drilled on an angle?? I mean so that the air would be drawn into the hose to aerate the soap...
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 11, 2008, 06:12 PM
    I imagine that it would work some. However, when you turned the hose off at the nozzle, the soap and water would come out the two holes. How about trying a nozzle that has a whole bunch of holes in it that you could set for different patterns of spray? That might work.

May 11, 2008, 06:38 PM
    The system is designed as a compressed air foam system I was wondering if the tip I think might be 3/8 or smaller and is a reducer jet tip and might be an inch or less long and I was wondering if it might be possible to drill a hole stragiht the diagonally shape reducer jet nozzle and get it to aerate or would it some how have to be on an angle??

In order to drawn in the air??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 11, 2008, 06:41 PM
    One "soaping" trick, for the nozzle, add a pipe that has some steel wool inside that pipe, as the water with soap travels past it, it agitates the water and soap and cause a lot more suds. I used to make some of those for pressure washes 10 years ago, until they became available commercially

May 11, 2008, 07:01 PM
    The part I for got to mention is that it would be hard to drill the nozzle tip and I wonder if I could drill diagonal holes as previously mentioned to aerate the foam in a reducer jet if it was drilled on an angle??

I think what I am saying is that while drilling the tip sound like a good idea I think that it is not possible. And Iwas wondering if I drill the holes on a 45 degree angle to draw in air in the hose if this could be successful aerating foam that comes out of a reducer jet nozzle??

Note 2 I don't have any steel wool do you think my previous thought could be succesfull it is a compressed air foam system I mean do you think it could aerate a reducer tip nozzle on a hose that is 3/8 or smaller that is a reudcing jet the tip might be about an inch or a little more or less in length??
    Expert

May 11, 2008, 07:23 PM
    If you get the angle just right and the size of the hole just right, you will create a vacuum effect and suck air into the nozzle that will mix with the water and soap. If the angle is not right, you will merely get another hole for the water and soap to exit

May 11, 2008, 07:31 PM
    I see your knoelegable in hydraulics??

p.s. when I mention this to a friend of mine he when he had suggested to drill holes in things he said always use a 45 degree angle...
    Expert

May 11, 2008, 08:02 PM
    They use that principle in some of the sand blasting an the dry ice blasting. Also we use that same system to make soap go into pressure washing systems.

Here is the reason it works
    Venturi effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is actually engineering,

May 11, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Thanks for the info that why I seem to recall him metioning sand blasters. But my?? Is this has a reducing jet nozzle the hose diameter is about 3/8 or smaller and tip diagonally reduces. Would you think that if I aerate the hose it could still work with a reducing tip nozzle??

I mean would you think the end product would be aerated??

May 11, 2008, 08:22 PM
    Note: I do I reapeat I do understand venturi...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hydraulics and Numatics [ 3 Answers ]

What are hydraulics and Numatics? ( That might have been a typo... )

View more questions Search