Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2006, 01:55 AM
    Circumcision
    I just found out that the baby I'm expecting is a boy! :)

Although not religious, my husband and I are both Jewish and it's pretty much expected that we're going to circumcise our child. In fact, if we don't have him circumcised, he won't really be considered Jewish. Growing up I knew a Jewish boy who was not circumcised because he was a hemophiliac. He was teased mercilessly by other Jewish boys. I don't want this to happen to my son, especially if we decide to send him to Hebrew school in the future.

On the other hand, I don't like the idea of circumcision. I think it's outdated, and an unnecessary mutilation. My husband is circumcised, but as a doctor he agrees that it's not necessary. However, he feels torn like I do, because his parents will throw a fit if we decide not to circumcise.

Anyway I guess I would just like to hear some opinions about circumcision, for and against. I have no idea what we're going to do... :confused:
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2006, 03:23 AM
    Congratulations, again!

My 1.5 cents worth:

Have him circumcized 1st because you are Jewish.

And for more on the medical end of it, see here:

Studies about the benefits of circumcision have provided conflicting results. Some studies show certain benefits, while other studies do not. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) says the benefits of circumcision are not significant enough to recommend circumcision as a routine procedure and that circumcision is not medically necessary. The American Academy of Family Physicians believes parents should discuss with their son's doctor the potential benefits and the risks involved when making their decision.

A recent AAP report stated that circumcision does offer some benefit in preventing urinary tract infections in infants. Circumcision also offers some benefit in preventing penile cancer in adult men. However, this disease is very rare in all men, whether or not they have been circumcised. Circumcision may reduce the risk of sexually transmitted diseases. A man's sexual practices (e.g., if he uses condoms, if he has more than one partner, etc.) has more to do with STD prevention than whether or not he is circumcised.

Study results are mixed about whether circumcision may help reduce the risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners, and whether it helps prevent certain problems with the penis, such as infections and unwanted swelling. Some studies show that keeping the penis clean can help prevent these problems just as well as circumcision. Infections and unwanted swelling are not serious and can usually be easily treated if they do occur.

Hope this helps!

NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2006, 03:43 AM
    Often it's so baby can be like his daddy. That's pretty much the decision that went on when I had my boy done. Also I believe quite a few women aren't fans of the "turtleneck" and I want my son to have all odds on his side. :D
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2006, 04:38 AM
    Hi,
    You are a Jewish family? So why not raise your child as Jewish.
    It's no big deal and if you don't have it done, as you say, the child will not be considered Jewish by some and you will have to face the "disagreements" from the family for a long time. Is is worth it?
    Marriage has enough problems, as time goes by, without having religious undertones thrown in also.
    Have it done, and keep a peaceful family. I do wish you the best in your decision.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2006, 06:18 AM
    I agree have it done, He may because he is Jewish to follow closer to the faith than you do. Also while your doctor may not have an opinion, as Rick mentioned there is fair evidence this is a recommended procedure.

And does anyone else see the humor in a Catholic priest telling a Jewish family to have this done.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2006, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    And does anyone else see the humor in a Catholic priest telling a Jewish family to have this done.
    You're simply tolerant and aware of other faiths. You should be commended for that.
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2006, 09:09 AM
    Wow... I knew I would get some good responses, but I didn't think everyone would be for the circumcision! That's really interesting. I've been thinking about how proud I am to be Jewish, even though I am not religious. So it's probably wrong of me to deprive my child of that, or at least make things more difficult for him. We are thinking of Hebrew school for him and want him to have a bar mitzvah as well. And we've also discussed going to synagogue more regularly for his sake...

Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Often it's so baby can be like his daddy. That's pretty much the decision that went on when I had my boy done. Also I believe quite a few women aren't fans of the "turtleneck" and I want my son to have all odds on his side.
    Yes we've thought of this too. Because my husband is circumcised, would my son feel weird if he wasn't? I think you're saying yes. And yeah I'm not a fan of the "turtlenecks" myself so I know what you're saying! :D

Rick, thanks for medical quotes about circumcision. This is my big fear on the other end, I don't want to mutilate my baby. But I guess it's a safe procedure and everything... maybe it's just because I'm the mother that I don't want to see my baby suffering. Although, as you guys have pointed out, he may suffer more in the future if we don't get it done!

Fred, thanks too... you're right... the family and in-laws factor hugely in this. I seriously doubt they would ever forgive us if we didn't get it done. Plus circumcision is like a baptism for Christians, so if you don't have it done, you don't really belong!

I really appreciate your response, Fr Chuck. In my eyes you're a true Christian because you don't compromise your beliefs, and yet you are able to express things in such a respectful way. That's so awesome, especially when I seem to run into people (of all faiths) on this board who lack that basic respect and tolerance of others. As far as that goes, Rick you are also great in this way! :)

Thanks guys!
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2006, 09:13 AM
    Oh and by the way, I tried to leave comments on your posts for all of you, but I was only allowed to leave a comment for Fred... with everyone else I got the old "spread it around" message. But I do appreciate everyone's answers!
    Expert

Feb 23, 2006, 12:40 PM
    Thank you, you should be very proud of your Jewish background they are a fine and wonderful people. ( my aunt **close family relation* was Jewish and except that she could rival the nuns when she got mad)

But beyond that we often forgot to think about the issues our children will have, and what they may want. Most of us at some point in our life, want to explore our culture and history.

And while from a Christian belief, we were orgianlly a Jewish "cult" that started their own faith and so many of our practices and customs have Jewish background. I think that far too many Christians do thierself an injustice by not learning and even practicing some of these customs.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2006, 01:26 PM
    I agree with them all…have it done.

When he is associating with his other Jewish friends, they will all simply assume he is circumcised. Children don't like to be different, as they can be teased, especially young kids.

And don't worry about the pain. He won't ever remember it – after all, he will only be 8 days old. I assure you, I don't remember the pain or anything about the briss when I got circumcised.
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2006, 09:42 PM
    Thanks so much Captain Forest... another yes! :)

I'm glad to know you don't remember anything or regret what happened to you.
    Expert

Feb 23, 2006, 10:43 PM
    I feel so bad,

Congrats on the new baby on the way. This is a joyist time. I am sure you all are so happy ( unless you are my age in which time it may more surprise)

We hope you all the best, keep us all updated.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2006, 02:23 AM
    It all depends on the culture, belief and what you think is best for the child. Congrats on a Boy on the way Orange. My mother, just kept me the same as my father. Not Circumcised. As I got older I thought to myself is it not a sign that you belong to God. The new Testament says it does not matter if your circumcised or not as long as you give your life to God. So I would say, Do what you think is best for the boy and it would make sense having the boy the same as the father.

Joe
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2006, 09:28 AM
    Thanks Joe! Yeah it's a good point, to have the boy the same as his father. In our case then, my baby should get cicumcised since my husband is. And yeah I'm not into the religious aspect of it myself, either. But there's a lot of pressure in the Jewish community to have it done, even if you're just a secular Jew.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2006, 09:31 AM
    I feel so bad,

Congrats on the new baby on the way. This is a joyist time. I am sure you all are so happy ( unless you are my age in which time it may more surprise)

We hope you all the best, keep us all updated.
    Thanks Fr Chuck! Yeah we're very excited about the baby. I'm only 26, but the doctors told me a long time ago (at 17 I think), that I could never have children. So this one was a total surprise! I'm 20 weeks along now so I think that is just about halfway through? Anyway yes we are very very happy! :)
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2006, 11:06 AM
    Well as an update to the whole circumcision thing, we have decided to have it done, as we now have 2 more children in the house, and the 4 year old boy is circumcised (and so is my husband). Plus the children are interested in Jewish activities and going to synagogue, so it would be very unfair and weird for us not to include our son in all of that. Thanks again to everyone who responded!
    Style Posts: 48, Reputation: 7

Mar 26, 2006, 12:26 PM
    Get him circumcised,although you don't want to think of your child having sex already, it is shown that during sex the foreskin can tear causing excruciating pain,and that each time it tears it gets tighter and more easier to tear,furthermore in the area that the foreskin covers is often a harboring ground for bacteria (however if you don't get him circumcised make sure to instruct him at an early age to clean around there,that way you don't have to bring it up when he's older and when it would be EXTREMELY embarassing)
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2006, 01:39 PM
    Style, I know many family members that are NOT CIRCUMCISED, including MYSELF that have had no PROBLEMS.
    Style Posts: 48, Reputation: 7

Mar 26, 2006, 02:19 PM
    I'm not saying that it's 100% going to happen,I'm just saying it is a possibility,I myself am not circumcised and have no problems,however I don't want to take the risk of tearing so when I turn 18 I do plan on getting the procedure done. It all comes down to personal preference really.
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2006, 02:27 PM
    I do believe you should rethink. At the same time it is your own personal choice, I am happy that your parents did not make that choice for you.

Joe

You should look at both sides. Investigate. Circumcision has a lot to do with religion and tradition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search