Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stm4 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2008, 08:05 PM
    Killing lilly pads in pond
    Hi, I have a pond and its full of lilly pads, ived tried a lot of things , some chemicals , last summer 2007 it dried up could walk across it , sprayed round up on it did not affect it. With the cost of digging it out to munch , any other advice what might work, thanks & God Bless.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 11, 2008, 06:09 AM
    You can either treat the pond with Sonar and kill all the lilies or use ShoreKlear or AquaStar and only kill the lilies that are interfering with your pond use. Water Lilies provide terrific habitat for fish and other aquatic critters and they shade the water preventing algae growth, so you should think twice before you eliminate all of them.

I hope you haven't compromised the area around the pond by busing Roundup and chemicals. You didn't say if it was for irrigation or ornamental use though.
    wpeters1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 06:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    You can either treat the pond with Sonar and kill all the lilies or use ShoreKlear or AquaStar and only kill the lilies that are interfering with your pond use. Water Lilies provide terrific habitat for fish and other aquatic critters and they shade the water preventing algae growth, so you should think twice before you eliminate all of them.

I hope you havent compromised the area around the pond by busing Roundup and chemicals. You didnt say if it was for irrigation or ornamental use though.
    Hello,

I'm trying to locate these chemicals in canada, are they sold under a different name?

Thanks,
    Bill
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Sep 2, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Reward is made for aqueous plants and won't kill your fish. Roundup shouldn't be used in water. It doesn't work too well, and can kill fish. You should use a surfactant with it so that it soaks into the pores of the plant to get a better kill.
    Al

Sep 2, 2008, 03:15 PM
    There is no fish in this pond, I'm trying to kill off some Lotus that were planted in error last year. Are you suggesting that a little Roundup with added surfactant will do the trick, perhaps wiped directly onto the large leaves? If so what sort of surfactant would you recommend?

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Sep 2, 2008, 03:54 PM
    A great surfactant is APSA80. It will help the Reward to work better. If you want a cheaper weed killer, you can use Karmex. It is far cheaper than Reward or Roundup. I'm not sure the Roundup will work. It might if applied in the early morning so the plant will absorb it more readily. Regardless of which you use, it's always best to use a surfactant. We use both as appropriate on and around the lake.

You can click on my user name and send a private message to me. I'll give you additional information of where you can get the stuff online.
    Al

Sep 2, 2008, 05:21 PM
    Al,

I attempted to send you a PM but apparently I don't have permission to do that according to the message. Would you mind sending me a PM so I can email you.

Very Best,
    Bill

Sep 2, 2008, 05:27 PM
    Hey Bill,
    I couldn't get it to go either. I guess because you are pretty new.
    Al

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lilly 4177 [ 3 Answers ]

What pill has lilly 4177 on it?

Pee Pads [ 2 Answers ]

I just got a yorkie he is 9 weeks. My husband and I leave him for 8 hours when we go to work.We have a space gated off for him with toys,bed,water and his pee pad. He just starting eating his pee pad. I come home it's all over his gated area. What should I do?

Sore pads [ 3 Answers ]

Our 12 yr old collie X (gs+collie) has sore pads which seem to come on mostly at spring and autumn. Vet gives antibiotics but these seem very short term in effect. Given the choice dog always walks on tarmac rather than grass. She also has joint problems in front legs so exercise is too limited.

Shoulder Pads? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I was wondering about the rules of shoulder pads lately. Of course I wore them with EVERYTHING in the early 90's, but then learned to accept my little shoulders. However, now I have a post-baby body. I am back to a 6, but my shoulders are narrow and droopy and with my new hips, I look silly in...

What type of pill is lilly 4117 [ 3 Answers ]

What type of pill is lilly4117??

View more questions Search