Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kt123456 Posts: 36, Reputation: -2

May 10, 2008, 06:42 PM
    Why are those with a disability discriminated against?
    Hi for my oral for school I chose to do the topic of discrimination against those with a disability as I find it so wrong. So I'm wondering in all opinions why are those with a disability discriminated against?

I would much appreciate a lot of answers as I would like a wide range of views
    Thanks heaps
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 10, 2008, 07:44 PM
    Because some people are cruel and can't accept difference.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 12, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kt123456
    hi for my oral for school i chose to do the topic of discrimination against those with a disability as i find it so wrong. so im jus wondering in all opinions why are those with a disability discriminated against?

i would much appreciate a lot of answers as i would like a wide range of views
    thanks heaps

People tend to be afraid of anyone who is "different."
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2008, 09:26 AM
    And often while it is discrimination, it is sometimes a employer looking out for his own interest.

If you owned a company and you could employ someone that you did not have to do anything for to allow them to work, but you instead chose someone that you have to make changes to the workplace, perhaps cause others to pick up some of the duties that are not the main job they are being hired for.

Lets say you are a smaller business and furnish health insurance, so a person with a disability will be automatically covered by group insurance, but if their disability is ongoing they will have additional bills and usage over that of other employees at times, so next year the cost to the company group insurance goes up.

There is a fear that customers may have a problem with someone that is in a wheel chair or with leg braces or that are "little people" and you are afraid such a choice will hurt your income

I am not defending but merely saying why it happens in some business
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jun 11, 2008, 08:46 AM
    JudyKayT's right. Humans have an innate xenophobia. It's both one of the reasons for our evolution and our conflicts and wars. On top of that, there's the dread that they could end up that way at any time (ie, in wheelchair, missing limbs).
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2008, 10:26 AM
    Disabilities are hard for other people to deal with. The people who have hard times are the people where everything must be "perfect" for them in their perfect world. They are not realistic in their expectations of how other people can be whether it be a speech defect, a disability involving walking, missing an arm or a leg, missing an eye, etc. These type of closed minded people will have to learn their lesson here on earth and that lesson is to be tolerant of every human being no matter what sort of disability they may have.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 11, 2008, 10:37 AM
    In many circumstances its not that people with disabilities are deliberately discriminated against but that the issues of dealing with some disabilities can't be made to work.

For example, would you hire someone with tourette's syndrome for a customer service or sales job? On the other hand, they might be able to handle a software coder's job without a problem.

Company's and people are often made to bend over backwards to accommodate disabilities at a cost much greater then the return. Making a building wheelchair accessible can be expensive, yet a business may not be attractive to a lot of wheelchair users, but a company could be forced to go through the expense when it will clearly not generate income to pay for it.

I could go on with several other examples. Nor do I have a solution to the problem. I don't think its fair that someone with a disability cannot live their lives as full as possible. But I also don't think it fair that someone has to lose money to accommodate a disability.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 10:43 AM
    People are often afraid of what they know nothing about. Many people are not well versed in the area of disabilities- learning, emotional, physical. Its easier not to learn and be closed minded then to expand ones horizons.

Many of today's students with disabiltiies are educated as to their limitations and receive job coaching which allows them to correctly assess what occupations would work best for them.

Facts About the Americans with Disabilities Act

Jun 13, 2008, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    In many circumstances its not that people with disabilities are deliberately discriminated against but that the issues of dealing with some disabilities can't be made to work.

For example, would you hire someone with tourette's syndrome for a customer service or sales job? On the other hand, they might be able to handle a software coder's job without a problem.

Company's and people are often made to bend over backwards to accommodate disabilities at a cost much greater then the return. Making a building wheelchair accessible can be expensive, yet a business may not be attractive to a lot of wheelchair users, but a company could be forced to go thru the expense when it will clearly not generate income to pay for it.

I could go on with several other examples. Nor do I have a solution to the problem. I don't think its fair that someone with a disability cannot live their lives as full as possible. But I also don't think it fair that someone has to lose money to accommodate a disability.

Well gem you are selfish, australians need to help the less fortunate i.e. the disabled. Disabled need funding for access ramps etc just as much as third world countrys need help and our support.

Jun 13, 2008, 05:53 AM
    Excuse me? Where do you get that I'm selfish? You asked why people with disabilities are discriminated against to help you prepare your oral. I gave you an alternative viewpoint that should help you prepare.

I wholeheartedly agree that the disabled need to be helped and supported. But I feel that the rights of others need to be also considered.
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2008, 07:38 AM
    well gem you are selfish, australians need to help the less fortunate ie the disabled. Disabled need funding for access ramps etc just as much as third world countrys need help and our support.

This is why I don't think people should get help on the Board with homework - in the case of OP, repeatedly.

It turns into an debate with someone who couldn't find the answer by himself/herself in the first place!
    Vision Expert

Jun 13, 2008, 12:11 PM
    Perhaps it would be easier if the OP wasn't allowed to respond on the thread they posted... just get answers...

But OP, this is a very helpful site to get information on homework.

Google AND this one Yahoo! Oh and this one Ask.com Search Engine - Better Web Search

Jun 14, 2008, 01:17 AM

Company's and people are often made to bend over backwards to accommodate disabilities at a cost much greater then the return. Making a building wheelchair accessible can be expensive, yet a business may not be attractive to a lot of wheelchair users, but a company could be forced to go thru the expense when it will clearly not generate income to pay for it.

OK yes I'm sorry that was harsh calling you selfish I should have expected to receive those comments. But it is a issue close to my heart and it was this comment that got me angry, 'I also don't think it fair that someone has to lose money to accommodate a disability.'

Jun 14, 2008, 04:05 AM
    I don't blame you for being upset at that remark. But I ask that you try to be objective about it. Your instructors will want you to. Let me try an example. Lets say you own a store for adventure sports. Now a person in a wheelchair would be highly unlikely to shop in your store. Yet you may be required to make your store wheelchair accessible just in case a wheelchair occupant might want to shop there. Do you think that's fair? I think there may be alternatives in many cases that can still accommodate those with disabilities without causing hardship to others. I think those alternatives need to be explored.

Jun 14, 2008, 05:06 AM
    Lets say you own a store for adventure sports. Now a person in a wheelchair would be highly unlikely to shop in your store. Yet you may be required to make your store wheelchair accessible just in case a wheelchair occupant might want to shop there. Do you think that's fair? I think there may be alternatives in many cases that can still accomodate those with disabilities without causing hardship to others. I think those alternatives need to be explored.

Why do you assume someone in a wheelchair wouldn't be interested in adventure sports? Maybe their legs are 'no good' but the upper body could be very well developed so that maybe they like some types of climbing. Sorry... my examples are going to sound lame because I'm not really up on my adv sports, but not all of them require perfect physique.

That said... as one who spent some time in a chair, I applaud the ADA but disapprove of the way it's being rammed down merchants' throats. All public buildings should be chair accessible and curbs need to be 'ramped' at corners; but if a merchant doesn't want the biz he may get from the disabled, then it's his loss. It would be good pub rel to accommodate. Minor adaptations are one thing, but mandating they spend thousands to put in ramps or widen doors (sometimes just because they're 'wide enough' but an inch or too narrow for the law) only breeds resentment - the opposite that the disabled seek.

Jun 14, 2008, 05:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by WVHiflyer
    Why do you assume someone in a wheelchair wouldn't be interested in adventure sports? Maybe their legs are 'no good' but the upper body could be very well developed so that maybe they like some types of climbing. Sorry....my examples are gonna sound lame because I'm not really up on my adv sports, but not all of them require perfect physique.

That said....as one who spent some time in a chair, I applaud the ADA but disapprove of the way it's being rammed down merchants' throats. All public buildings should be chair accessible and curbs need to be 'ramped' at corners; but if a merchant doesn't want the biz he may get from the disabled, then it's his loss. It would be good pub rel to accomodate. Minor adaptations are one thing, but mandating they spend thousands to put in ramps or widen doors (sometimes just because they're 'wide enough' but an inch or too narrow for the law) only breeds resentment - the opposite that the disabled seek.
    I didn't assume anything. I said highly unlikely, not impossible. But you said it (in your second paragraph) better than I did. That's the point I was trying to make.

Jun 14, 2008, 05:47 AM
    ScottG - I have an occasionally annoying habit of what Mom called "left-handed compliments"
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2008, 06:51 AM
    ok yes im sorry that was harsh calling you selfish i should have expected to recieve those comments. But it is a issue close to my heart and it was this comment that got me angry, 'I also don't think it fair that someone has to lose money to accommodate a disability.'

I don't understand your repeated posts about people with disabilities - I don't know what answers you want or expect.

What's the problem here?

I've read through your other posts about your problems and I'm confused about your "issues."
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 14, 2008, 07:31 AM
    I will give you an example that was on the news, a eating establish opened, it had one step up but they provided someone to help the people in if needed. But that was not good enough for a handicap protest group, they sued and picketed, he could not get a permit from the city for a ramp, and they were not happy with the fact that not all of the tables were acceptable.
    Over three years and 10's of thousands of dollars. And he was not by law required since he did meet legal requirement of having someone to assist them in
    Vision Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 02:25 PM
    I just want to point something out...

Most people in wheelchairs have learned to adapt to things in unconventional ways. I know this because my best friend is parapalegic. And the only thing she CAN'T do is walk.

She doesn't complain when there's not a ramp. Getting up one step is fine. She's learned to do just about everything walking folks can do with little adaptations.

And I also want to point out that just because a person isn't likely to shop somewhere doesn't mean they wouldn't be accompaning someone that would.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discriminated against at work based on gender? [ 11 Answers ]

This is pretty long so I want to thank anyone who reads it or responds. This is something that has been bugging me for some time. I am a male. I work for a nonprofit agency assisting clients in learning skills for independent living. While working at this company I have been asked if I had...

Speaking disability [ 4 Answers ]

I use to fumble when I speak. I am used to the remarks that people pass when I am stuck in a sentence. All that worry me is the interesting fact that when I speak to my friends or outsiders (other than my family members) I speak like normal people (or get slightest of fumbles that are negligible)...

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

Have I been discriminated against? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question. I am a fair person. I am african american plus some other things but on my appearance I am either black or hispanic. My husband is in the same boat. My mother in law is white and my father is black/white as well so I have no reason to make this up. I went to a restaurant that...

Disability Income [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on workers compensation income since November 2004. I purchased a home in February 2005. I have no W2. My dependent is in private school and received 3 hundred toward her tuition for 2005-2006 school year. I have in the past used Turbo Tax. Am I required to file taxes on my...

View more questions Search