Vision Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 05:15 PM
    Thanks Tuscany.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 05:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    I just want to point something out...

Most people in wheelchairs have learned to adapt to things in unconventional ways. I know this because my best friend is parapalegic. And the only thing she CAN'T do is walk.

She doesn't complain when there's not a ramp. Getting up one step is fine. She's learned to do just about everything walking folks can do with little adaptations.

And I also want to point out that just because a person isn't likely to shop somewhere doesn't mean they wouldn't be accompaning someone that would.

I'd be curious what type of wheelchair she has - my husband had a great deal of difficulty with his chair and he never would have been able to go up a step. We found - and this never made sense to me - that establishments (mostly restaurants) that were wheelchair accessible had rest rooms which weren't!

I know there are various models of wheelchairs available - his was quite expensive and I wondered what your friend uses.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 02:22 PM
    I don't know model numbers or anything, but it's a super lite chair. Hers was expensive as well, but the state paid for and decided that she needed because she lives alone and has to lift her chair to get into her car and such. I can find out a model number if you are interested.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Unfortunately people are always afraid of differences. Disabled people are only one group of many that are discriminated against. Allot of people find it hard to accept people that aren't exactly like them, be it because they are in a wheelchair, or blind, the color of their skin, their heritage, and so on.

Why this is so I don't know. I do believe that it is something that is learned, something that is picked up from our parents or other relatives, teachers or friends. We have to teach tolerance to our children, acceptance, love and understanding if we are going to change this world we live in.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    I don't know model numbers or anything, but it's a super lite chair. Hers was expensive as well, but the state paid for and decided that she needed because she lives alone and has to lift her chair to get into her car and such. I can find out a model number if you are interested.

Yes, I would be because I could find nothing for my husband that would handle a stair and I would like to know if/how/why the salesman couldn't find one.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 04:14 PM
    She said that she doesn't remember... And the writing is all rubbed off the chair...

We know there's a huge spring under the seat... that may help... to get up a step I pull back on the handles and she leans back and rolls the wheels back, I push forward then left the back of the chair...

Or if its low, she pops the front up and wheels fast over the step.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 18, 2008, 04:22 PM
    I think the biggest factor in discriminating against those of us who are disabled is fear. Not all labor laws take away from the fear. Like said in previous posts, employers fear they may be required to make accommodations. Others Fear loss of customers. The Fears are endless. On a more personal level, people Fear they will say or do the wrong thing when dealing with an obviously disabled person. In my case, people fear trying to shake hands, closing car doors, allowing me to lift with my good arm, etc. Again an endless list of Fears. Most fear is spawned by ignorance. It's not the fault of people who fear all the things involved with people who are disabled, it's more that they just don't understand.
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jun 19, 2008, 08:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by westnlas
    I think the biggest factor in discriminating against those of us who are disabled is fear. ... Most fear is spawned by ignorance.
    I used to wear long pants to store in summer because if not some would stare - occ w/ worried look. If kids w/ them, they'd chastize kid f/ being curious. Let them ask. Only way to learn. Aftes 20 yrs, I don't bother w/ long pants. My leg is appreciated Oct 31 (made one to look like f/ Night of Living Dead) so let them learn not to worry when it almost looks 'real.'
    lnza4 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jun 19, 2008, 08:47 PM
    I work in Heavy construction and due to my injury I can no longer perform my duties. It is a life and death discussion that I had to make. If I can't control a lever because of a pain... I could accidentally crush you limbs. As an equipment operator I'm no longer an asset but a liability. Each case is unique! Try not to pass judgement on anyone until you know the facts...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discriminated against at work based on gender? [ 11 Answers ]

This is pretty long so I want to thank anyone who reads it or responds. This is something that has been bugging me for some time. I am a male. I work for a nonprofit agency assisting clients in learning skills for independent living. While working at this company I have been asked if I had...

Speaking disability [ 4 Answers ]

I use to fumble when I speak. I am used to the remarks that people pass when I am stuck in a sentence. All that worry me is the interesting fact that when I speak to my friends or outsiders (other than my family members) I speak like normal people (or get slightest of fumbles that are negligible)...

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

Have I been discriminated against? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question. I am a fair person. I am african american plus some other things but on my appearance I am either black or hispanic. My husband is in the same boat. My mother in law is white and my father is black/white as well so I have no reason to make this up. I went to a restaurant that...

Disability Income [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on workers compensation income since November 2004. I purchased a home in February 2005. I have no W2. My dependent is in private school and received 3 hundred toward her tuition for 2005-2006 school year. I have in the past used Turbo Tax. Am I required to file taxes on my...

View more questions Search