Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ldd130 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Sick goats
    Recently bought three young goats. Two have died and the third seems to have diarrhea. Was told he may have coxitia. What is this and how is it treated?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 10, 2008, 02:03 PM
    You may have had it spelled wrong. I think it should be coddidia.

Coccidiosis is the disease caused by coccidian infection. Coccidiosis is a parasitic disease of the intestinal tract of animals, caused by coccidian protozoa. The disease spreads from one animal to another by contact with infected feces, or ingestion of infected tissue. Diarrhea, which may become bloody in severe cases, is the primary symptom. Most animals infected with coccidia are asymptomatic; however, young or immuno-compromised animals may suffer severe symptoms, including death.

While coccidian organisms can infect a wide variety of animals, including humans, birds, and livestock, they are usually species-specific.

I am not sure if it infects goats or not. Was it diagnosed by a vet ?
    Lavina Posts: 31, Reputation: 9

May 14, 2008, 07:17 PM
    According to this site, it's a "stealth killer in goats".

Tennessee Goats

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best way to tame goats [ 9 Answers ]

We recently bought a Boer cross momma and her two babies. The kids are approximately 8 weeks old. I have two daughters who want nothing more than to love on them and play with them but the kids keep taking off! We bring treats and momma is fine but babies still pretty skittish. Any ideas?

Goats over a bridge? [ 5 Answers ]

What is a "troll" I see that tearm thrown around a lot, is it some kind of insult?

Goats [ 1 Answers ]

Can you over feed a goat kid? The reason I ask is because I have one that it seems like he eats constantly and his stomach keeps on growing but the rest him seems to be staying small. Am I feeding him the right feed or should I be doing something different?:( I feel really bad about this and I...

Anybody know about goats? [ 1 Answers ]

I am very concerned about my goat. After being pregnant at least two weeks longer than the normal gestation period, she finally delivered one live baby and one long-dead baby this morning. She'd gotten absolutely huge. Massive. I'm pretty sure she has an infection, but there are no vets out here...

View more questions Search