Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    When at home, I don't have time to work out, there are things that I need to do at home. That's why I go to the gym. I've tried pilates and could never get the hang of it. That's really the only thing that will work?? Pilates. If I didn't have it in me to push myself I wouldn't have already lost 30 pounds.
    I'm not going to say pilates is the only thing that can work for your midsection... was just trying to give you a good angle... if it doesn't interest you, it won't work no matter how effective it is. One reason it does work is it makes you focus on breathing, form, and proper muscle contraction. Doing 100 situps without good form and without really focusing on the muscle contraction is a waste of time and hard on the body. Doing 2-3 sets of 20-25 with proper form and deliberate muscle contraction will do wonders.

So your problem at home isn't a lack of time, its distraction. I can understand that. Everybody can make time, even if they don't want to, but if you are distracted you aren't going to make the best use of your time.

Well then if you are gym bound there's a few things to try.

Crunches done right can work a lot of your abs, but again... its more important to have good form and control than to do more reps.

The bicycle crunch is a great move, and the pike crunch is also, but requires more core strength. Both are must do's.

You can also use a pulley machine for weighted crunches by kneeing a few feet away with tension on your arms and using your abs to curl your body down, head toward the floor. This method is better than other weighted crunches because you feel resistance all through the movement. And as with all exercises, keep the muscles engaged throughout the contraction and the return.

Plank is a common, core strength move that anyone working on their waist should do. Again, along with the crunches, a move you should be doing.

The gym probably has a captains chair... where you have your back to the apparatus, your arms on padded arms, and your legs hanging down. You draw your knees up toward your chest, but again, in a controlled movement with deliberate focus on your abs.

I like pilates version of the "sit up" where you roll up slowly and deliberately after engaging the muscles in the down position. Half roll backs are also good.

So... you don't need a gym to do crunches, bicycle crunches, pike crunches, plank, or situps and rollbacks, but you certainly can do them there, especially with the mats available.

The pulley crunches use a machine. The captains chair is an apparatus. Also other common core strength moves like squats and lunges makes your abs and back work to control your body under stress.

Does your gym offer any special deal on a trainer to get you set up on a plan? Or are they willing to show you how to use the machines with good form?

And lastly, keep your abs contracted throughout the day at times. Just walking around, try to contract the muscles... this doesn't mean suck in your stomach as far as you can... it means tighten your abs, which will draw your pelvis and chest just a little closer. You'd be amazed at how by just doing this throughout the day, you'll feel your body getting stronger in a week or two.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 20, 2008, 06:49 PM
    I've tried both of those machines that you are talking about. So you think they'll work well?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 09:38 PM
    I think the captains chair is fine... more comfortable than hanging from a bar overhead. I think the pulley machine is fine too. I like the constant resistance. Both are useful for slow, deliberate work. But I honestly tend to not do these and do the bicycle and pike crunches more. Almost religiously.

So the best workout for abs, in my opinion, has been the others I mentioned... mostly because of concentrated contraction and control. I don't have a "checkout line magazine 6 pack"... I have some clean ab definition and lines. But I'm just not going to be the guy on "mens mag" cover without losing way too much % body fat. I have good definition, but not competition form... which is what I think you were looking for... her lines are mostly vertical... top to bottom without a lot of lateral definition... and I think this is easier to get than the individual muscle separations.

These days, my ab routine is honestly two days a week in the gym with weighted lunges, squats, crunches, leg lifts, and situps, and two days a week with an hour of pilates focused on abs and back.

The best thing you can do is find something that interests you and will keep you engaged.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Body fat [ 3 Answers ]

I have a good height(5'9) but I have a tummy and my hips and bums and thighs have a lot of fat. Even if I play or do cardio excercises the sweat comes from my back and not tummy. What should I do to decrease my tummy, bums, thighs , hips and chest? If sweat is not the form of fat then how to lose...

Want best body [ 1 Answers ]

I want best body cause some ers always say me I'm very thin. I am 18 and possesses only 48kgs. I'm in depression also so guide me my friends! My name is nil. So, came on point, I now don't eat eggs. I'm veg.

View more questions Search