Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 10, 2008, 12:17 AM
    Side Affects of Prilosec
    My doctor told me I could keep taking Prilosec OTC, rather than actually going to a prescription med, as long as I watched for certain side affects.

Not something I really wanted to discuss on here (I almost got a new ID just for this question LOL), but one of those things is black stools. What I'd like to know is how literally to take "black." Like black black? Or dark? I'm seeing kind of dark. With a flashlight on it so I can get a good look, it almost has a very dark olive green tinge to it. Without the flashlight, just looks dark. But not literally black. And not like tar or anything. (No blood or anything either.) I think I've seen what looks at least similar to this when I wasn't taking Prilosec.

Is this "dark" anything to worry about? I only started on a round of them about 3 days ago and haven't had any other problems. I had no problems the other time I took it. Can't call the doctor to even ask about it until Monday and don't know if I should stop taking the stuff over the weekend.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 10, 2008, 08:35 AM
    I don't see this as an adverse reaction in any of my texts. This could be a problem in and of itself, something completely unrelated.

However, you should contact your pharmacist, not your doctor, regarding this. They are much more competent to answer questions of the medicinal kind than many doctors are.

You should, however, notify your doctor. Your doctor may want to do a fecal occult stool test or a guiac test to determine if this is blood in your stool, which would be unrelated (most likely) to the use of the medication.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 10, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Thanks for the reply.

Since your profile says "graduation on the horizon," does that mean the big red graduation is new? If so, congrats!

Actually, this is right on the package insert, and on their web site, so not sure why you're not seeing it. And you're right about the pharmacist -- in fact, I thought of that and then promtly forgot again. (I can be like that.) I can still talk to my doctor, but... I've worked with sick cats too much and I'm familiar with what bloody looks like, even though it's not usually red. It's nothing like that. Wouldn't surprise me if it's the way I eat! But never hurts to ask about it, that's for sure.

Thanks.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 10, 2008, 01:54 PM
    Yes, I have finally graduated and am finally getting paid for what I do best, LOL. Thanks for the congrats.

I haven't looked on the package, just my textbooks. Dark black tarry stools can be a side effect with some meds, it can also be caused by certain things in your diet, as you mentioned. But it can also be a symptom of an upper GI bleed.

Please contact your pharmacist, then I would probably make a visit to the doctor on Monday to be sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oxycotin side affects [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if nerve damage is a side affect of oxycotin? I have numbness and tingleing in my right hand along with my thumb, index, and middle fingers. I also get numbness in my left foot mostly along with my toes on that foot. :confused: Please help, I have been told that the cause of...

Side affects of niastan [ 1 Answers ]

If you take niastan can you have a glass of wine?

Oxycotin/Oxycodone side affects [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if these medications (for cancer pain) could cause the throat to close up, (or give the sensation of closing up)?

View more questions Search