Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diddlydudette1 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2008, 05:30 PM
    I got a job working for company in Maryland but I will be working in SC at home.
    Hi,

I just got a job working for a company in Maryland, yet I will be working remotely at my home in South Carolina. I will be flying up to Maryland maybe once every month or so for a couple of days to show my face. Will I be filing both SC and MD state taxes.

I've never done this before so I'm not quite sure how it all works.

Also, when working at home for a company, do you know what expenses they will cover for me while working at home?. i.e. phone, cable, etc.

My work will be requiring being on the computer for the most part doing desktop publishing/graphic type work.

Thanks so much in advance.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 9, 2008, 05:48 PM
    1. If you will not work in Maryland, then your employer should not withhold Maryland taxes and you don't pay Maryland taxes.

2. If you work in Maryland, then you will pay taxes in the Maryland for the period you were in Maryland.
    On your SC tax return, you will report your full income. On SC tax return, you will also claim credit for taxes paid in MD.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2008, 05:48 PM
    I work at home in 1 state and my employer is in another state.
    I pay state taxes for my home state. My employer pays for my paper, cartridges, internet bill and 1 phone line. My computer, fax machine, printer and cell phone is supplied as well as the upkeep.
    diddlydudette1 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2008, 05:23 AM
    Thanks! I appreciate your responses.

I do know they will be supplying a laptop with all the software loaded, but I wasn't sure if I should ask (if they don't offer) if they would include phone, cable or whatever else.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2008, 05:32 AM
    If I had to have a dedicated phnoe line Then I would ask for them to pay for it. Every so often they buy me staples, post it notes etc...
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 12, 2008, 01:07 PM
    MukatA has it right: the state of Maryland has NO LEGAL STANDING to tax your income if you neither worked nor lived in Maryland. The monthly visit to the Maryland does not establish working locus.
    BetrayalBtCamp Posts: 307, Reputation: 63

Aug 24, 2008, 09:54 AM
    This would be a good time of the year to talk to a tax preparer or accountant to find out what you should be doing to make filing your taxes easier. They can also tell you what, if any, expenses will be deductible. You will need to make sure that SC income tax issue is properly handled & withheld by your employer, not MD otherwise it will be much more complicated for you later. You may not have to file taxes in MD if you are working entirely from SC but if your employer reports your wages to MD, they will probably expect you to file something with them verifying you owe no state taxes there.

Many will be glad to talk to you for at least a basic free consultation hoping to get your biz when it is tax time.

Maryland Income Tax Information

For tax year 2007, the Maryland income tax rate is set at 4.75 percent and it applies to the taxable income of residents and nonresidents who derive income from a Maryland source. Nonresidents are subject to a special nonresident tax rate of 1.25 percent, in addition to the 4.75 percent rate, for an effective tax rate of 6 percent.

How do I File a Nonresident State Tax Return? - TurboTax Customer Care & Support

Myth: I need to pay tax to the state my employer is based in
    True or False? Linda, a full-time Maine resident, is a remote employee who works from home, handling customer service calls for an insurance company located in Ohio. She therefore needs to pay Ohio taxes on her income.

False. What matters is where she earned her income, not where her employer is located. Any income she earns while working in Maine is subject to Maine – not Ohio – income taxes. She should only have to file a Maine tax return.

However, if Linda's employer mistakenly withheld Ohio taxes (perhaps out of habit because most of their employees do work in Ohio) then Linda will also need to file a nonresident Ohio return to recover the erroneous withholdings. She'll declare that she earned no wages on her Ohio return, and TurboTax will calculate a full refund for Ohio taxes withheld.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 25, 2008, 10:36 AM
    BetrayalBtCamp has an excellent post.

I offer one addition to his scenario. When Linda files the Ohio state tax return, she should attach a copy of the Maine state return to show the Ohio state tax authorities that she IS paying state income taxes to her home state. This usually answers questions before they have a chance to be asked, and speeds up the processing of her return and refund.
    BetrayalBtCamp Posts: 307, Reputation: 63

Aug 25, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Thanks for the compliment, Atlantic Tax Expert!

As to what the company will cover, that often is a mtter negotiation or you can ask if they have a policy in place of what they will reimburse.

If they don't, make a list of what items you will need & ask not if they will be covered but how they will reimburse you for those expenses, then it's important to have that confirmed in writing.

Either send a follow up email saying "This is to confirm that we have agreed the following expenses will be reimbursed to me". Then list the ones agreed on.

Or ask they send confirmation that what expenses will be covered & the procedure you need to follow to get the money. But unless you get that very quickly (48 hrs) the first way you already have proof of what you were promised & who agreed that would be done.

That will avoid misunderstandings later & may get you more than if you rely on them to volunteer to pay those things.

Also the MD link in my other post will take you to the official state site in case you do need the non-resident tax form.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Company in CA, working location in NY, live in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

It seems I have very complicated situation-- my own company is located in CA ( my W2-state tax withdraw is CA), but my office is in NY city and we live in NJ, my wife works in NJ. Can you tell me what exactly the states we should file our tax return and don't get double taxed? Thanks a lot

Introduction working with new company\ [ 1 Answers ]

I have started with a new company and wanted to contact past costumers and let them know where I am?

NJ resident working in PA for a NJ company [ 1 Answers ]

Confusing isn't it. I'm somewhat confused about this. I've read about the reciprocal tax law but assume this applies at the State level. I live in NJ, my employer is based in NJ, however I work in PA (satellite office). I pay Fed and NJ state taxes but my local taxes are withheld in PA as well...

Working in two states, different company [ 1 Answers ]

I have worked for the same company and in two different states last year. I lived in NY from Jan to July 2006 and then transferred to PA in August. I am a current resident in PA. I received two W2 forms in the mail for working in each state. The figure in Line 1 in both W2s are the same I...

View more questions Search