Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mark_maloney Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Loud squeaking on outside unit.
    I got home this afternoon to a house I have owned for two weeks and the outside unit was making a god-awful squeaking noise when the fan was running. When I felt the top of the motor it was very hot. I am hoping it is just the motor but need to know if this is a job I could do or I need to call a service. I can hang a new light fixture but that's about as far as my electrician skills go.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 9, 2008, 04:05 PM
    Please have a repair dude do this repair if you're not that mechanically inclined as you could ruin more than you fix. Also there could be more involved in the repair requiring special testing equipment to see if something else needs replaced. The motor obviously went if it's heating up like that. Also this is high voltage electric and I wouldn't want you to get zapped and ruin your weekend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loud Noise from the outside unit [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a heat pump heating unit in my 6 year house. Last night I got woken up by a loud squeek/grinding type noise it happen twice in the night. It also most sounded like a belt lose or something needs to be oiled. The nosie came from the unit that is outside. I never heard it do that before....

Sharp Window Unit - Fan is Extremely Loud [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I've been searching the HVAC forum and I see most posts are about large central air/heating systems. I have a relatively minor 8000BTU Sharp window unit model# AFS80MX. The problem I have with this unit is that its incredibly loud, even at the lowest fan setting. I believe the problem is the...

Indoor AC/heating unit making loud noise [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Day&Night central forced air unit that will make the large duct work that connects to all the smaller ducts to it vibrate and it makes a vibrating noise so loud that we can hear it upstairs. When I first turn the unit on it will be fine but after a minute or so the vibrating begins and...

Squeaking/Chirping Window A/C Unit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. My windoW A/C unit has started making a squeaking/chirping noise. It started intermittenly but now makes this noise for hours at a time!

A/C Squeaking- Will oil do it? [ 1 Answers ]

My central A/C woke me up because it was sqeaking so loudly. I hit the side of the unit and it got better but started again. I turned it off and took the cover off. It is dusty in there. Can it be oiled so it will stop and I can sleep?

View more questions Search