Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    granz0210 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2008, 02:57 PM
    When is the right time?
    Is there ever a right time to ask for a divorce? What I mean is, is it better to mot ask around a holiday like say mothers day or should it not matter? And is there a "good way to say to someone that you no longer want to be married?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 9, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Basically there is no good time to bring up that subject but if you must do it, don't use some nice holiday like Mother's Day or Xmas or the person's birthday to do it. It can have traumatic results for years to come if you do this. The way to bring up the subject can really be tricky but you need to be very gentle with this subject and kind of ease into it. Don't just blurt out you want a divorce as you're not a good person type thing. On the other hand, don't just keep pretending nothing is wrong and then one day wham out of nowhere tell that person you're getting a divorce. It's going to be tough to do especially if the other person is still in love with you. Don't envy you this one.
    JAMIET Posts: 73, Reputation: 12

May 9, 2008, 04:41 PM
    I agree with twinkiedooter as well... also , if there are young kids involved, find someone to watch them while you deliver the news. Please don't go to a restaurant either to break the news.. I saw someone do that (thinking the other would behave in public) and it was quite ugly for everyone around. If you think the person your telling has a temper, you might want to have a family member or trusted friend stay close by so if you need to call someone, other than the police, they'll be close to help.

You didn't mention if the other person has a clue this is coming? Do they know or suspect anything?

Good luck!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

May 9, 2008, 05:51 PM
    I believe there should be a good reason. It sounds like your very disconnected if your talking about yourself. Which we do not know if you are or not. There is a process that needs to happen before even thinking about divorce. Open communication, individual counseling, couple counseling.
    ivelisse463 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2008, 10:37 PM
    There is never a good time. But I rather lead up to it like asking if that person believes the marriage is OK. Then tell your spouse how you have been feeling.
    granz0210 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2008, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by granz0210
    Is there ever a right time to ask for a divorce? What I mean is, is it better to mot ask around a holiday like say mothers day or should it not matter? And is there a "good way to say to someone that you no longer want to be married?
    To elaborate more Yes I think she does know that things are not good and there is a child involved and she is the best little 4 year old in the world which makes it a lot harder. However, she tells me all the time that she wants out then takes it back later after she cools down over any of the million things that piss her off. Sorry I am getting cynical. Thank you for the help though. I guess what I want to know is how do I say it, she says it all the time and I say OK but then she says she did not mean it and acts like she never said it. This has been a theme over the past 7 years and especially the first 2 years then things died down and she didn't really say it after our daughter was born but now it is back. I have been disconected from her for years and find no joy in being with her or around her and have no desire to be intimate with her even though it does happen out of obligation but very rarely. A few weeks ago she said she was late and the only thought I had was oh damn I am stuck. Then when she got her "friend" the first thing that I thought of was thank god! I don't want to be mean and say these things to her but what do I say and how should I say it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under $5000. 2nd time. But 1st time since 18th [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, So basically the story goes like this: In April of 2006, I was arrested for theft under $5000 for car prowling in a neighborhood and some alleyways. I was 17 at the time. We got caught with $1500 worth of golf clubs in the back of my dads car. Needless to say, my dad was pissed....

Bryant Gas Heater Needs Rebooting time to time [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Bryant gas heater I had installed in 1991. It is a model 394 and the model number is 394GAZ203675. From time to time the heater stops coming on and of course I don't notice it until I start to get cold. As soon as I turn off the furnace and turn it back on it immediately starts up and...

Live in MA, Student in NY: Full-Time/Part-time/Non-Resident? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I am a 21 year old student attending a college in New York. Last summer (2007) I stayed on campus - as opposed to coming home and living with my parents in Massachusetts - and worked/earned an income through the school. However, the previous winter break, which ended in middle-January 2007, I...

Part Time / Full Time / Non - Resident - need clarification on this [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian Citizen. I came to US on L1 Visa on 20th October, 2007. I am trying to file the tax return through File Taxes Online - Do Taxes FREE - File Taxes With TaxACT. There is a question : "Whether you are a part time resident / Full Time Resident or Non-Resident". I am not sure...

12.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Smokes fom Time to Time [ 9 Answers ]

This engine apprears to start and run fine. However, from time to time it will smoke like a freight train then clear up and be find. This may occur several times in a two hour period. Any sujections on what may be the cause? Thanks for your Help!

View more questions Search