YouTube - Black or White something to think about
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2008, 02:08 PM
    I wish it was, sadly it is not
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 9, 2008, 02:18 PM
    Raises many questions... what have the children's experiences been like? What is the family life like? What are their neighborhoods like?. etc.. I wonder what the results would be if the children were white children? Hispanic children? Asian children? Would they choose the dolls that look like them or would they choose ones that are different? Are they perceived to be "nice" because they are different... which may make them more appealing simply for that reason.
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2008, 04:05 PM
    Some really good questions there. I hope someone addresses them too.
    LORRS Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2008, 04:18 PM
    Was well shocked and up set, so sad! No matter what colour we it dose not define who we are or what we are.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2008, 05:07 PM
    I'd like to know more about the children's backgrounds, and see the results (as Doula mentioned) if the same thing was done with children of other races and backgrounds.

Sadly, it's not really surprising; there is still a lot of racism in this country, and children pick up on it. Some children are told by their families they aren't as good because they are dark. I remember an episode of Dr. Phil or Oprah or something where they talked about black mothers hoping and praying that their child would be born lighter-skinned, and being disappointed when their children were dark. There were some people who talked about discrimination from their own families because they were darker than their siblings. How are you supposed to feel good about yourself if your own family treats you like you are worth less than your lighter-skinned relatives?

The results of the original test isn't surprising at all, given the time in our history and how rampant racism was in our country at that time. Horrible, but not shocking.

I also wonder about the way the questions were asked, though. The children are asked to identify one as "bad" one as "good"; they weren't given the option to say both are "good" or both are "bad". Sure it still speaks volumes that most picked the white doll as "good", but I wonder what the results would have been if they had been able to say both are good.

I hope someone does this again in another 50 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

This just shocked the heck out of me! [ 14 Answers ]

My family and I were at Olive Garden last week and I was carrying my two month old in his fairly heavy carseat carrier thing. The wait was going to be 40 minutes and as always the place was packed. There was nowhere to sit. There were a bunch of old people standing and not one person was giving...

Shocked from car [ 3 Answers ]

After driving my car for a while whenever I touch any metallic object I get a shock... advise what's wrong with me?

Clinton is "shocked " Hsu was on the lam [ 13 Answers ]

Bill Clinton 'shocked' Hillary donor was a fugitive -- Newsday.com Bwahhhaahhhaaahhhaa! I imagine him saying that if he knew the guy was in trouble he would've pardoned him when he had the chance . Just think of all that extra yuan he could've collected for the Clinton Library ! I'm just...

Getting shocked in my above ground pool. [ 4 Answers ]

I am very confused. I have never owned a pool before and after talking with some friends decided to start with one of the Intex pools that you blow up the ring and then fill with water. This seemed to be an inexpensive way to start and see if a pool would work for my family. However, several...

View more questions Search