Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justconfused16 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2008, 12:58 PM
    Our lives don't mean anything, what can I say?
    My best friend has been sort of depressed lately, with good reason I suppose.
    We hang in a group that is really tight--we would do anything for each other. Her and I are the only two members of said group that do not smoke. The others said they would quit and did for some time, but then they picked it up again.
    We are in the ages of 14, 15, 15, 15, 15, 16, 16, 16, 17, 18. Most of us, not old enough to legally smoke for the most part.
    My friend and I talk all the time, generally 2-3 hours a day on the phone. Lately she's been talking about how when she's older, she's just going to move on to college and forget all about our neighborhood and all of us. She's tired of watching our friends' destroy their lives; she doesn't want to see them never advancing in life because they would rather hang around and get high (Yeah... they smoke pot too, but have cut down quite a bit.).

I truly feel the same way, in a few years I'll be attending an out-of-state college and I don't know if I'll ever look back. I want her to be happy, but I don't know what to tell her about the situation, any advice?
    MommyLeah Posts: 47, Reputation: 3

May 9, 2008, 01:42 PM
    I think you both have the right idea. It seems like you are making mature decisions about your feelings. It is hard when you have been friends for a long time to feel OK about moving on, but there comes a point where some people just drift apart, they choose different paths. I have one friend from high school that I am still friends with. We are many states away from each other, but no matter how long we go without talking, it never seems awkward. All my other friends, we just didn't stay the same, we lost touch, didn't have anything to talk about anymore. Stay strong and be true to yourself.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Even for those that don't plan it, after high school veiw people keep close. Some do and that can be great, but people go off to college, they move off to jobs 100's or 1000's of miles away, marry get busy with life and come back to their old home tows to visit family, or maybe their 10 or 20 year high school reunion.

So basically this is just honestly admitting what may happen. But then with email and the such, we can stay in some contact if we try hard
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 9, 2008, 03:13 PM
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with you two growing and choosing paths that your other 'buddies' are not ready for yet. They too, will probably wander off and live lives they would not even think of right now. It is all part of growing up. Some of you will mature faster than others and some might not even mature at all - depending on their mental states.

I was a military child, and a military wife - which meant moving again and again at least every three years or so. To me, it was fun visiting new countried and making new 'friends' and we all knew that we would not be together forever - but there was communication via letters, and now via emails - so those of us who shared the same interests later still kept in contact. That's just the way of the world today.

It will all work out in the longrun, so don't let this stress you out, dear. It's fun to be a global citizen with the right attitude.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chooseing between two lives [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, So here goes. I was in a 5 year relationship with a wonderful person. He loved me and I loved him. We danced together, salsa. We even had a dog. Life was good, I was happy, there was no other person who would have turned my head. But something changed. I have always been interested in...

I just want him out of our lives! [ 3 Answers ]

I was with my kids dad for 6yrs then we split. He cheated and I started dating a women. He went crazy for a while. Then I decided to move to A.z because the cost of living is more affordable then Cali. And I was tried of livving with people my boys needed a place of their own now we have our own...

Claiming a grandchild that lives with you or does father that lives elsewhere? [ 6 Answers ]

My 18 year old daughter lives with me full time, is full time high school student, has had a baby 12/5/07 and the baby also lives with me. I do claim my daughter as a dependent. The baby is covered by his fathers insurance. Who claims the baby as a dependent on their taxes, the father or myself?

Looking for someone who lives in Greece [ 3 Answers ]

If there is anyone one on this board that lives in Greece that can help me I would appreciate it. The person I am looking for is male from Kalamata. Last I heard is that he moved to an Island in Greece. He was part of O.Y.K (Hellenic Navy) in the early 90"s His name is George Drolias Send...

So this is how the other half lives? [ 1 Answers ]

Well thanks to Tom's link I've discovered this site and it appears more mature, interesting, and alive. After I figure out how to navigate the boards I'll try and contribute my moderate views when possible. I'm juggling a busy schedule between work and the wife's pregnancy. I just want to give a...

View more questions Search