Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CFZD Posts: 385, Reputation: 49

May 9, 2008, 11:17 AM
    Mothers' Day
    I've shopped for Mothers' Day and I also want to cook for her something special.

I know my mum loves steak, however I am not that good at making the steak soft, what are your tips?

Thanks in advance. :)
    iamthetman Posts: 105, Reputation: 8

May 9, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Cook it on a lower temperature and don't cook it for too long!
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2008, 11:23 AM
    It really is a matter of taste but if you marinate the steak with spices, wine, or beer, it will normally come out more tender and flavorful than just throwing it on the grill.

I marinate mine in beer at least overnight, longer at times. Yes, there is a little beer flavor in the steak, but I love it.

Also, let the steak sit out until it gets to room temp before you throw it on the grill.
    Try to avoid turning it many times. Make sure the fire is hot, but not still flaming a lot.
    Throw the steak on the grill, let it sear well on the first side, and cook aprox half the total cooking time needed (this will vary depending on how thick the cut is) then turn it once, and finish up on side two.

I'm sure there are other suggestions, I'm kind of interested in what others suggest as well.

BEEF, IT'S What's FOR DINNER!
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

May 9, 2008, 12:12 PM
    My answer would be
    • type of meat.. I usually go for tenderloin for recipe that does not call for marinating.. and
    • cooking oil.. in Asian cuisine, people marinate the meat with spices and a little bit of cooking oil, leave it overnight in the refrigerator, then you will get tender, tastier steak.

Here is some ideas:

Easy: Go to grocery store and look for Weber mix "Black Peppercorn".
    You need 1/4 cup of water, 1/4 cup of cooking oil or olive oil and 2 tbsp vinegar.
    Marinate the steaks in refrigerator overnight...

Leave at room temperature before cooking..
    Medium heat, 4-5 min on each side.

This is very tasty and very easy...
    If you would prefer something more elegant... you might like to try this one.

Steak Au Poivre
    * 4 tenderloin steaks, trimmed (original recipe call for sirloin steaks but I like them tender)
    * Salt
    * 1 cup black peppercorns
    * 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    * 2 tablespoons olive oil
    * 1 pound baking white potatoes, peeled
    * Oil for frying
    * 1/2 cup minced shallots
    * 1 garlic clove, peeled
    * 1/4 cup brandy
    * 1 cup demi-glace
    * 1/4 cup heavy cream
    * 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves

Season the steaks with salt. Coarsley grind the peppercorns in a coffee grinder. With a small knife, spread a tablespoon of mustard on one side. Pack the pepper into the steak. Turn the steaks over and spread another tablespoon of mustard. Pack the pepper into the steak on the second side. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the steaks and sear for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Remove the steaks from the pan.

Add the shallots and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 15 seconds. Carefully add the brandy and flame. Add the demi-glace, cream and mustard. Mix well. Bring the liquid to a simmer and cook for 1 minute. Add the steaks back into the pan and continue to cook for 1 minute on each side. Remove the steaks and place in the center of each plate. Stir the parsley into the sauce and spoon on top of each steak. Serve.

Enjoy...

Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2008, 12:22 PM
    A lot of great answers, the first and foremost get a better cut, the better steak in the skillet, the better out.

I like to soap mine in a sauce overnight.
    turtlegirl16 Posts: 177, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2008, 12:24 PM
    Get a cookbook titled: Dinner

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Respect for mothers [ 4 Answers ]

Why do my kids have more respect for the abusive father rather than the loving mother?

Mothers Rights [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know where I can get the paperwork for a mother to sign away her rights so that we adopt. We have full guardianship of our grand-daughter and have had her for 2 years and want to adopt her outright.

Unfit mothers [ 2 Answers ]

I am wondering how I would go about getting custody of my nephew because my sister is an unfit mother. She is an alcoholic and abuses drugs. She is also on prescription meds for bipolar disorder while drinking and doing drugs. The combination of the drugs and alcohol with her prescriptions makes...

Mothers and Daughters [ 8 Answers ]

Is it legal for a mother to leave her 15 year old daughter at home alone all weekend while she goes to her boyfriend's house? She leaves Friday night and usually doesn't come home until Sunday night. The mother is in her late 50's and her boyfriend is in his late 30's, and this is an almost every...

Marrying a gril whose mothers surname is same as my mothers [ 4 Answers ]

I am jain, I love one girl from our caste ,her mothers family surname and my mothers family surname is same? Now I was was not knowng her until I met her , she is not related to me , yet everyone is sayng it will be like brother sister marriage! Also people talk about genetic problems due to...

View more questions Search