Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rhett98Lab Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2008, 07:03 AM
    Is adjacent property owner obligated to pay?
    Recently, high winds blew down the fence between me and my next door neighbor. My neighbor had just recently moved in and is not the property owner. I replaced the fence paying all cost. However, my neighbor will not divulge the landlord's address for whatever reason. I did a property ownership search and found out who the owner is and this person's address. My question is if I send this person a bill for half of the fence cost including a copy of the original invoice for construction cost, is my neighbor's property owner in anyway obligated to pay? In terms of cost, we're talking about $500. Also, am I wasting my time in pursuing the matter? Thanks, Rhett98Lab
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

May 9, 2008, 07:05 AM
    I wouldn't just send him a bill... if you explain the situation and just ask if he's willing to chip in on the fence, you'll probably get a better response.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2008, 08:01 AM
    A lot depends on who owned the fence. If it is on your side of the property line, no, they don't have to pay you. If it's on the property line, they are technically responsible for half. But people are people, and they may decide not to pay. In which case, you can pursue it in small claims, but you have to weigh the aggravation against the money. But I'd due what retsoksirhc said, and see what happens. Be polite... it makes people more responsive.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 9, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    A lot depends on who owned the fence. If it is on your side of the property line, no, they don't have to pay you. If it's on the property line, they are technically responsible for half. But people are people, and they may decide not to pay. In which case, you can pursue it in small claims, but you have to weigh the aggravation against the money. But I'd due what retsoksirhc said, and see what happens. Be polite... it makes people more responsive.

Right, all good points and I would add that the property owner is not responsible to pay to reconstruct your fence - if it is your fence.

There is also a possibility that his homeowners insurance would have paid for it - if it's his fence. And if you replaced his fence... well, maybe he didn't want it replaced and is not willing to pay for it.

You never know until you approach him.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 9, 2008, 09:51 AM
    Whose fence was it? Who paid originally to have it erected? Did you take pictures after the storm of the damage? You should have looked into the fence ownership before you paid to have it repaired as it might have been the other guy's fence and you just repaired it for him for free if he does not want to pay for it. Too late now as the horse ran off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Property lien with consent of property owner [ 4 Answers ]

May I put a lien on property, with the owners cooperation and what forms, process do I need? The lien would be to secure repayment of a loan to the property owner.

Evicting owner of property [ 2 Answers ]

I have been living with my boyfriend for a year, I have custody of my 2 granchildren which he knew before hand. When his wife through him out of his house he moved in with me at my rental property for about a year, when he finally got his house back he asked me to move in so we did. Now he has...

Finding an owner of a abandend property [ 2 Answers ]

Hi There has been a house onnmy road which is under neglect and the house has not been registerd but I am intrested in obtaining this property what do I need to do to find out more this property has been empty for around 6-7 years Thank you Hayley:rolleyes:

How Can A Owner Of A Property Add Someone To Their Deed [ 1 Answers ]

I live in orlando fla I would like to know how can I as the home owner add someone to my deed. What forms do I need to use. I know already that I have to know the pay off my mortgage before I can so this I have requested this information. If anyone nows in this area can they give me a quicl...

Property Owner [ 3 Answers ]

How do I find out who the owner of a property is. I only have an address.

View more questions Search