Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sadiemae Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2006, 02:54 PM
    Grandma's Rights
    I'm hoping I can get some good advice from some of you out there. Here goes.... My 21 year old son has been living with his girlfriend (we'll call "Julie") for 2 ½ years now. In Oct., 2004 they had a little girl named Alannah. Things have been really "Rocky" with them since they moved in together. She comes from a family who has always been in trouble with the law so she claims to know everything, including all legal issues. My son has thought about leaving her a few times, but she just pressures him and he ends up staying. She threatens to take the baby away and tells him he'll never see Alannah again. Well, I know, all he has to do is go to court and get partial custody and that would be taken care of, but getting him to actually believe that I might know something about the law is another thing, lol. A few weeks ago when he was talking about leaving her, I told him to do it if he weren't that happy and go to court and start paying child support until things were figured out. He told Julie that I had said that and now it has come to blows. It's been twisted to "I wanted him to throw her and the baby out on the street!" That's not at all what I was saying. My son called me a few weeks ago and told me that I will not see him or my granddaughter again. I know that Julie told him to choose between her and his mother and he chose her because he is afraid of never seeing his daughter again because for some reason or another he believes everything she says. I can't stand not seeing my granddaughter and I believe I have rights here in Wisconsin. Does anyone know how to go about starting the process to obtain visitation? Any help anyone can give me is greatly appreciated!!:p
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2006, 04:02 PM
    Have your son read this thread.

Julie can not keep his daughter from him. She if full of crap. Your assessment (go to court, get partial custody) is absolutely correct.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 22, 2006, 04:41 PM
    Ok, legally he can get visitation rights at least , perhaps partial or joint custody, heck he could even try for full custody if he wanted to.
    What he gets is up to the judge, but he will get something.

Now she can try not being home, moving and not telling him where she moved, locking the door and not letting him in. Police will not do anything, He would have to take her back to court again, and have the judge rule, order her to, it takes time often to make them inforce the visitation.
    Real life answer, not what the law says is suppose to happen.

Some states allow grandparents to sue for visitation rights, not all do.

Take your son to talk to an attorney, most don't charge much for first visit, some allow first visit free just to discuss. That way it is not you, or me, or a unknown online someone saying something.
    Sadiemae Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2006, 08:56 AM
    Thanks so much Captain Forest and Fr. Chuck for the advice... I'm printing this out and giving it to my son... hopefully he takes the advice.
    Sandy1959 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2013, 01:20 PM
    I really think this is sad for all parties involved. I'm in a situation like some of the other grandmothers out there, but I have put foot down and let her know just because her and my son don't get along does not mean I will stand by and not see my grandson. You don't take issues out on the ones that didn't cause the problem and made her aware of fathers rights and grandparent rights. She signed papers in March for visitation whenever he wanted to see him with appropriate notice and I make her follow it also. I know that both my son and I will take her to court over this matter, and besides, the only ones that get hurt are the children. It's like punishing them from being around the other side of the family who also loves them. Shame on selfishness of people that use their babies as some kind of negotiation over visitation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Fathers Rights [ 5 Answers ]

My daughters friend has a little girl from a previous girlfriend. They were never married. He is listed as the father on the birth certificate. The mother does not want child support and has sole custody of the child. The father paid for the hospital bills when she was born and still pays all...

Grandparents Rights ? [ 2 Answers ]

1) My Granddaughters Mother left her and my son has know time for his daughter, my son has an abusive relationship with his girl friend and they both us drugs,neither of them can hold a job . My granddaughter has been with me sense she was 2 and half she is now 5yrs my son says he wants, his...

Father's rights [ 8 Answers ]

I have a five year old daughter. Her father was a registered sex offender (I did not know)and left for AK when she was born. I made it clear I wanted nothing to do with him. I have not seen or heard from him in over four years. He knew about his daughter but to my knolwledge has never tried to find...

Visitation rights [ 3 Answers ]

Has anyone heard of a new law about visitation rights for the noncustodial parent? Thanks,Roxpate

View more questions Search