Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fbm Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 07:01 PM
    Prepaid expenses and Taxes
    How would prepaid expenses be accounted for in determining taxes and accounting for the deferred tax provision.

For example, assuming rental payments are prepaid at the beginning of the year and are not yet expensed by the time taxes are accounted for- would these prepayments be taken as deferred tax assets, reversing in future periods to provide deductible amounts against future net income for tax purposes?

Is it the same for all prepaids?

Also just thought of this, are prepaids, even though considered assets, treated the same as other assets in determining Operation cashflow using the indirect method? i.e. are we going to deduct the increase in the account, and add the decrease? Because, if these are being paid as deferred expenses, shouldn't they effectively be treated as liability accounts as the cash effect is not yet determined in the net income, and we should deduct a decrease, and add an increase in the account? (I'm thinking of it kind of like the accounts payable but backwards) Thanks
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 08:07 PM
    As a general rule, anything prepaid is counted for taxes the same way they are on the books for an accrued method. i.e. if you prepaid something, it's an asset until the actual expense is incurred, at which point it is expensed. Works the same way for taxes. The expense is counted when the expense is incurred, not when the cash is paid.

Also just thought of this, are prepaids, even though considered assets, treated the same as other assets in determining Operation cashflow using the indirect method? i.e. are we going to deduct the increase in the account, and add the decrease?
    Yes. ALL current assets are treated the same for the operating section adjustment. (Assuming indirect method.)

Because, if these are being paid as deferred expenses, shouldn't they effectively be treated as liability accounts as the cash effect is not yet determined in the net income, and we should deduct a decrease, and add an increase in the account? (I'm thinking of it kind of like the accounts payable but backwards)
    They aren't liabilities and you can't think of them that way. Liabilities go the same direction as the change in the balance, i.e. add an increase in balance, and subtract a decrease in balance. Since that's "thinking like accounts payable," then assets are backwards from that.

The fact that the cash hasn't been accounted for in the net income is exactly the point. You're adjusting an accrued net income to cash. Since the expense hasn't been charged, the prepaids aren't reflected in the net income. But the cash has been paid. Therefore that needs subtracted out in order to reduce it to where the cash actually is. (Or vice versa if the prepaid is a reduction.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recording Prepaid expenses and Unearned Revenues [ 2 Answers ]

Hello- This is my first time taking Accounting and I'm having a few problems with some of my entries. If anyone could look at my first entry and help it would be greatly appreciated. I have to do the following: Prepare entries for the transactions under the method that records prepaid...

Prepaid Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, just wondering how I find Insurance expense & Prepaid insurance when when Jan 1st the balance is $600 and I Apr. 30 is $2,400. HELP please:(

Prepaid expenses [ 2 Answers ]

Are prepaid expenses classified as liabilities on the balance sheet? Or are they just assets that represent prepayments of future expenses?

Prepaid Expenses [ 1 Answers ]

What are prepaid expenses in regard to current assets? Are they trading securities?:eek:

H1 B and expenses and taxes [ 4 Answers ]

If you are working for a consulting company on W2 and working at a client site. Can you submitt the bills directly to your client for the expenses incured at client site and get the check from the clent directly on your name? On H1 can you accept checks from anyone else other than your employer?...

View more questions Search