Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    internetdiagnosis Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 05:55 PM
    Change Name of System Folder
    The current computer I have was given to me by a friend of mine, however my friend's name is on one of the main system folders on this computer. How do I change it? The OS is Windows XP.

In C:\Documents and Settings, there are (4) visible folders: All Users, Application Data, Friend's named folder, and Owner.

Whenever I right click the folder and go to rename, I get the following message:
    "Friend's Name" is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be moved or renamed.

I hope I am explaining this correctly. If anyone has any idea how to change the name of this folder, I would greatly appreciate you sharing your knowledge!

Thanks,
    Jennifer
    jaspreet2142 Posts: 42, Reputation: 2

May 8, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Go to control panel and then to user account and change it from there
    internetdiagnosis Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 06:25 PM
    My name is already correct under user accounts, this is a system folder. Example, if you have a temporary internet file, the path would be something like C:\Documents and Setting\Jaspreet2142\Local Settings\Temporary Internet File... etc.

Well, I wouldn't want this to say Jaspreet2142 any longer, that is what I am trying to change. This is also the same for everything I have in Pictures, Videos, etc.

Do this, go to My Pictures, chose a picture, right click it and look at the properties. To the right side of Location you will see C:\Documents and Settings\... The name that is beyond Documents and Settings is what I am trying to change.

Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

You do not have the proper privilege level to change the system time [ 9 Answers ]

Hello friends I'm new here and this is my first question. Can anybuddy help me solving this When I double click on system time (system tray) the popup comes "You do not have the proper privilege level to change the system time" Is it some trajOn ? I've checked authentication level...

Thermostat change with old system with Y1, W1 and W2 [ 3 Answers ]

I currently have a Honeywell Chronotherm III thermostat which I believe came with the house. I'm trying to replace it with a Honeywell 5-1-1 Day (RTH7000 Series) programmable thermostat. After I disconnected the old one and started the new one, I got to a point where it says "If your old...

Install folder is missing from my Windows (XP) folder [ 3 Answers ]

How odd. Tried to install a program and got "1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime". I found the fix options at microsoft.com but one of them refers to C:\Windows\Installer - and I realize I don't have it! How the heck it disappeared I have no clue :confused: Hope hope...

System Volume Information Folder in Winxp [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I want to get confirm what all is there in System Volume Information folder in Windowsxp professional. I mean what are the contents of the folder, can we open the folder and what is the function of the folder. Thanks Waiting for reply!!

Ms Word can't see all my fonts in System Font Folder [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: somehow I can't see many fonts (includes open and true type) that has been installed into system font folder in Microsoft word. Example, I've altogether 7 types of Tw cent and 10 types of Futura, but only 3/7 and 8/10 available in Word. Anyone knows what is the reason? Thanks

View more questions Search