Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jubarbates Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2003, 11:39 AM
    Pellet Stove
    We recently moved into a home with a pellet stove for heating. Now that the cold weather is upon us, we have no idea how to start it up and no manual can be found.
    The manufacturer is Forge Stove Company Inc which can not be found on the internet.
    Any suggestions as to how to get this running or where to go from here?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 16, 2003, 07:08 AM
    Re: Pellet Stove
    Pellets are a recycled wood product made from compressed sawdust. Pellet stoves and pellet fireplace inserts look very similar to wood stoves, but have a slightly different style of fire. Their sophisticated computers and circuit boards determine how much pellet fuel should be burned, so they burn completely. Because they are so efficient and produce so few emissions, they are not required to the EPA-certified. Some do not even need chimneys – they exhaust fumes to the outdoors through a small hole in the wall.

Pellet-burning appliances are simpler to operate and more convenient than other wood-burning appliances. One feature of most pellet stoves and fireplace inserts is your wood fire can be thermostatically or remote controlled, just like a gas fire. Most models have at least two burn settings and some use thermostats to control the fire. They also use a forced-air system to distribute heat.

Pellet-burning appliances require less-frequent refueling than most other wood-burning appliances -- once a day to twice a week, depending on the model and your heating needs. You simply pour the pellets into a hopper and they are transferred to the fire chamber to be burned as needed.

Pellet-burning appliances also use several internal fans, which require about 100 KWH of electricity each month, which adds to your total energy bill. Also, if the power goes out during a winter storm, you will have no heat, whereas with a fireplace or woodstove you can stay warm as long as you have dry wood.

Pellets may be difficult to find in your area and more expensive per BTU than cordwood or gas – and you can only burn pellets and no other type of fuel You start this like any wood burning stove. Good luck, Tom
    mjeffer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2006, 05:10 PM
    Pellet stove
    Is you stove and insert or is it free standing?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hooking up a gas stove [ 5 Answers ]

My gas stove is falling apart. I found basically the same gas oven used, but a few years newer than my current stove. I am going to pick it up tomorrow. I was wondering if it would be all right for me to hook up the gas line. Is it as simple as turning off the gas line, unscrewing the hose and...

Downdraft stove [ 0 Answers ]

I've just bought a JENN AIR DOWNDRAFT slide in stove and since I live in a pretty rural area I'm having difficulty finding someone who knows how to install them. The connection is already there. What do I do?

Converting Gas Fireplace to pellet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas fireplace that was installed when we built our new home 2 years ago. I know that pellet stoves do not require a major chimmey and can usually be just vented through the wall. Can I use my existing chimmey (designed for gas) with a pellet stove insert. Or maybe if I put a pellet...

Heat Pump or Pellet Stove [ 2 Answers ]

I am considering replacing my gas fireplace which is more for looks than heating. I am considering installing pellet stove insert in place of the gas fireplace or a Heat Pump. Just looking for something that is cost / energy efficient. ANy Recommendations or expirences would be helpful. Forgot...

View more questions Search