Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    greenclover Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 11:04 AM
    50LBS in 4 and half months
    Does anyone have tips on how to lose 50 pounds in 4 and half months and if it is even possiable. I am walking 3 miles everyday and do wieght lifting 3 times a week and I am eating healthly I am seeing resaults but I need to lose 50 pounds so can anyone give me tips on how to lose it quicker. Thank you in advance.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 01:23 PM
    That much weight loss in that short amount of time is not wise. You didn't put the weight on overnight and you can't take it off overnight either. I am glad you are seeing results but there is no "trick" involved in losing weight quickly. Sorry.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 9, 2008, 10:06 AM
    I'm not going to tell you that you cannot do it... but it's a lot to lose in a short time... personally, I think your goal should be about half that... around 25 lbs in that time is a little less than 1.5 lbs a week. Sounds small, but its probably doable. Reaching your goal requires a little less than 3 lbs a week loss... something you might be able to get sometimes, but not always. Some people can shed with the right work, and some just creep along bit by bit.

My suggestion is to cross train. Your body gets used to what it is doing. You need to confuse it. Walking is a good start. Change it up. Are there stairs you can hit? A local HS stadium with bleachers... it'll get your cardio cranked. Ever try jumping rope? It SUCKS! Seriously... its tough! Or a small personal trampoline? Biking. Hiking up inclines?

Do your best to change things around.

Workout dvds are good to add to the mix. You can add another 30-60 minute workout into the mix thatll change things up. I focus on cardio (walking/running/biking) mostly, and then add dvd workouts (tae bo, pilates) and weights.

Pilates, though it looks passive and it isn't about cardio, can really strengthen your core... which I believe primes you for powerful gains. I think you need to work your way to a place where your body is finally "convinced" it needs to shed the lbs... and once you hit that point, it will be amazing what happens... but you need to fight through the frustration early on where you feel like you aren't making the progress you want.

You are trying to prime your body and force it out of its comfort zone. Athletes cross train for a reason... its to keep the body guessing and to strengthen it from as many angles as possible. You should do the same.

So sometimes ill just focus on a 4 mile walk followed by a dvd workout. Sometimes ill mix a walk-run combo up and then just stretch, and later do some weights. Sometimes ill warm up with a treadmill with an incline and then hit elliptical/stairs.

My wife, a runner by heart, picked up some weight after our child was born and her metabolism dropped. Before, she used to just try to run it out whenever her metabolism changed (like it does as you age)... this last time she cross trained and the results were remarkable. Walking, running, pilates, and tae bo did the trick.

I don't care for running... so I have to mix it up... walk, then run, then walk... but I can bike like mad. I also love hiking on trails, up hills, etc, at the local park or lake. I like tae bo also, and I've been doing pilates for the last two months and it makes a difference. It bores me some, but the results are real.

Go to your local library for exercise dvds you can try.

If you don't belong to a gym, consider it. The YMCA is my fav... family friendly and they'll work with you to find a price that you can afford. It's a great resource.

If you can do your workouts early in the day its great. Yeah, I hate getting up at 5AM, but it cranks up my metabolism for the morning and early afternoon so what I eat gets burned more than stored... plus its out of the way... the workout is done, and if I feel good enough later that evening I can always throw in another walk or workout. Many trainers will tell you to workout as early as you can, if nothing else, to check it off the list.

Good luck! Let us know how its going. Always great to talk someone through the process and understand what's working and what's not.

Also, get good sleep and take a multivitamin. Healthy sleep is important for your body to recover, and poor sleep can be tied into weight gain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mythological creatures half human half animal [ 14 Answers ]

What are they called? There is a general therm for all of them, and each type also has an additional name. Some of them are half horse half human, others half goat half human etc..

7 months on F1; 2 months on OPT; 3 months on H1B - what tax form should I Use? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, 1. I am Indian Citizen 2. I am single 3. I was in school from July 2005 to May 2007. I graduated from school in May 2007. 4. I started working from August 13, 2007. a) First on, OPT until September 30, 2007 b) then on H1B visa from October 1, 2007 to December 31, 2007 (Still working)...

Bleeding 3 months straight after depo shot 4 months ago [ 2 Answers ]

The birth control shot I got was supposed to be good for 3 months. I got it 4 months ago, so I realize it should have worn off by now. Everything was fine for the 1st month, but for the past 3 MONTHS, I my vagina has continually been bleeding. After it had been doing this for 3 weeks I called to...

Half bat-half man [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to find the name of a movie from the 70's... There is a mad scientist on an island who intertwines animal dna with human dna... it's probably cheesy fx with costumed people. I saw it when I was a kid so I was amazed... I know there was a butterfly woman and at the end a half bat-half...

My Half Dachshund Half Chihuahua has potty problem! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello my My Half Dachshund Half Chihuahua is a great dog but when it comes to the potty he is not good. He is let outside every hour but sometimes he pees in the house. I stay with him outside for 30 minutes and let him inside. I have no solution what should I do? :confused:

View more questions Search