Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Van_Su Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2006, 09:34 AM
    How to correct a wrong filing
    Dear Atlanta Tax Expert

One of my friends approached me with a problem, I wanted to get your opinion in this regard.

He is an Indian citizen and has arrived into US in August 2005. This is his very first tax filing. He took someone's suggestion and went to a tax filing agency and filed his taxes electronically using 1040 EZ as an US citizen, he did not even file 8843. Needless to say, he got his return in less than a week. I told him that it is a wrong mode of filing even though the return amount is the same being able to claim standard deduction as an Indian citizen.

Can you please suggest what to do in his case? Should he re-file using 1040NR-EZ along with 8843 or just submit a 8843 as he already got his refund?

Please advise.

With Regards

Sucharith Vanguri
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 22, 2006, 09:48 AM
    Sucharith:

Have him file Form 1040X with a Form 1040NR-EZ attached. He should ask that the Form 1040NR-EZ be accepted in place of the Form 1040EZ which was filed electronically.

Failing to do this could place his non-resident status in jeopardy. While that is not necessarily a bad thing, it would possibly make your friend liable for Social Security and Medicare taxes which he theoretically is not liable for under the F-1 visa.
    Van_Su Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2006, 09:52 AM
    Dear Atlanta Tax expert,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Should he also include 8843 along with the 1040X and 1040NR-EZ?

Also is there a chance that the IRS processes the new form and resends his refund? How do we make it clear that no refund is to be processed.

Thanks

Regards

Sucharith Vanguri
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 22, 2006, 10:20 AM
    Sucharith:

State in the comment section on the back that no refund is expected. However, the figures on the front should reflect that fact as well.

Yes, you can mail the Form 8843 with the Form 1040X and Form 1040NR-EZ.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Correct word use [ 3 Answers ]

Incorrect: It is essential that you are on time. Correct: It is essential that you be on time. Incorrect: He suggested that we should meet at the train. Correct: He suggested that we meet ate the train. Please can you tell me what is the logic behind using "be" instead of "are" in the first...

Correct Alphabetizing Practice [ 5 Answers ]

My boss is telling me that it is not correct to file "Mc" in front of the "M's" in other words before "Ma". I always thought it was a rule. Does anyone know the correct rule? Thank You.:confused:

Correct Size AC Unit? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in PA and my home was built 7 years ago and a Carrier Model 38TKB036300 central air system was installed. The home is two stories, has about 3200 sf living space, with a 500 sf great room that has a 20' ceiling. When I turn on my AC, it will only drop the temperature 1° per hour. (It has...

Is This Correct? [ 13 Answers ]

Could someone tell me if I have these correct and if not what'd I do wrong. Thank you. January 8 Purchased a one-year insurance policy, effective February 1, for $3,360. Debit: Insurance Expense Credit: Prepaid Insurance Completed several consulting jobs, which totaled $52,000. Cash of...

Another Flange Challenge And need to correct it [ 9 Answers ]

I have installed about 8 toilets to date. So know the basics well. And this is the third one in my parents home in a basement, on ceramic laid on a concrete floor. Aging, more flush, higher toilet etc. I installed last night a new American Standard Champion two piece comfort height elongated...

View more questions Search