Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    usherb8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Custody of a new born baby?
    My boyfriend just broke up with me and I am due July 2nd with his baby but he is mean and drinks and I don't think that he should have any rights how do I go through with this situation.:confused:
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

May 8, 2008, 08:34 AM
    OK-he does not have rights. He can fight for his rights / and obligations/ after child's birth.
    shellyjo68 Posts: 100, Reputation: 11

May 8, 2008, 08:39 AM
    Go to a lawyer ASAP. Have papers ready to go for the day the baby is born.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 8, 2008, 10:00 AM
    What you "think" he should have and what the law says he should have can be very different things. If he wants to be part of the child's life he can petition a court to allow that. You will then have to prove he is unfit to stop it.

If you want child support you will have to put him on the birth certificate.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2008, 10:10 AM
    I will sound very harsh, if he drinks and is mean, perhaps you should not have been having unprotected sex with him in the first place.
    Those issues were not a problem then.

The father will not have any rights ( at birth) unless you put him on the birth certificate. Now the father can at any time in most areas take you to court for his rights, for joint custody, for visitation and so on.
    But he will have to take you to court for that. Then in court you have to prove the father is a danger to the child with evidence.

And of course when born, you can take the father to court to get child support
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 8, 2008, 10:28 AM
    As noted, he will not have rights if you do not put him on the birth certificate unless he goes to court to obtain them. However, if you do not put him on the because, then it will make it harder to get support since you will have to prove paternity first.

If you apply for public assistance, they will insist that you identify the father so they can go after him for support.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by usherb8
    my boyfriend just broke up with me and i am due july 2nd with his baby but he is mean and drinks and i dont think that he should have any rights how do i go through with this situation.:confused:

This is going to sound mean but this is how this reads to me -

You say ex-boyfriend is mean and drinks.

He is so mean and so drunk that he should not have any rights to the unborn child.

He was not so mean and so drunk when you were having unprotected sex with him or for the first 7 months of your pregnancy. (Presumably you realized that your mutual conduct could lead to a child being born.)

He became mean and drunk when HE broke up with YOU 7 months into the pregnancy. (YOU did not break up with HIM due to the "mean and drunk" thing.)

It sounds like sour grapes to me. If he had not broken up with you would you have questioned his ability to parent?

He has rights... if he pursues them.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

May 8, 2008, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee

He became mean and drunk when HE broke up with YOU 7 months into the pregnancy. (YOU did not break up with HIM due to the "mean and drunk" thing.)

It sounds like sour grapes to me.
    :) :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baby born before due date [ 1 Answers ]

My baby was born a month before his due date and he wasn't premature. What could have been the problem.

How do I know if my baby is still born when I have my first doctors appointment in a [ 2 Answers ]

Month. I am scared you know. I found out I was pregnant, but nobody has been willing to see me without insurance, now that I finally got it how do I know my baby is still okay with my appointment being so far away.

Baby might be born on Feb 29th [ 1 Answers ]

This is funny because I don't know what I'm going to do if this happen. If my baby is born on the 29th of February what am I suppose to do for my baby's first birthday next year?

Supporting father of baby about to be born [ 4 Answers ]

I am almost nine months pregnant and the father is living with me. I have been supporting him for 7 months because he keeps promising to get some income. He does not seem to be trying very hard. He also is verbally abusive and threatens to leave me and never speak to me again if I don't keep paying...

H1B, with wife on H4 and one new born baby in US [ 3 Answers ]

I was on H1B since 2005 Oct. and got married in the same month, my wife came joining me from China in 2005 Dec and since then we haven't leave the states. My baby was born in 2006 Oct. and is almost 3 month old. Last year when I file 2005 Tax return I applied and received the Tax ID for my wife...

View more questions Search