Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notsohandygirl Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2006, 06:49 AM
    Can't install AOL
    I cannot install AOL. I've uninstalled AOL. I've installed with a new 9.0 optimized disk and run through the entire installation process until the very end when a window comes up that asks if I'd like to install the AOL files needed to complete the process. I choose yes and then another window pops up saying it may have to restart to finish. If I choose okay to restart I'm back where I started after it restarts. If I choose restart later, the window disappears and I have to start all over again. These windows now show up any time I try to start AOL. I've used aol's tech support by telephone lol. They said it was a windows problem. Note: AOL used to work fine on this computer. However, I've had trouble with it for months and finally 2 weeks ago got it working by uninstalling AOL and instant messenger and reinstalling 8.0. Then, a power failure shut everything down and when I restarted I could no longer get to AOL. Any ideas?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 22, 2006, 06:51 AM
    It does sound like there may be problems with your PC. Have you checked it for viruses, spyware? Done a defrag? What version of Windows do you have?

Feb 22, 2006, 07:13 AM
    I have run virus scan recently. I have not defragmented though. I have Windows XP home. I'll try defragmenting. Also, when I first start up the computer I have to close out 4 error messages:
    This application has failed to start because idledemon.dllwas not found Reinstalling the application may help.
    ERROR: Could not execute Main: The system cannot find the file specified.
    Error loading C:\Program Files\Wild Tangent\App\CDA\cdaEngine0400.dll
    ERROR loading C:\WINDOW\\bvxsf.dll
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 22, 2006, 07:25 AM
    Doesn't sound to good.
    To make sure everything is running fine also run both anti virus and anti spyware apps (make sure that they are updated first ;)) (AVG is good and free AV)
    (A couple of good removal tools are Spybot and Adaware)

ALso an on line virus and spyware scanner is Trend Housecall
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 22, 2006, 07:45 AM
    That looks like you have some spyware or other junk on your system. Follow Ben's suggestions for cleaning them out.

Feb 22, 2006, 08:55 AM
    Thanks. I ran the defragmenter. No change. Antivirus will have to be the disk I have. I can't get online. I'll try running this McAfee again and see what happens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hunter fan to install [ 1 Answers ]

Opened perfectly good operting hunter fan to install hampton remote... I am lost. (hamptom remote is to be compatible with hunter fan?? ) From ceiling I hv blk/red/white & grnd Remote has blk to motor... blue (light) to motor and white to motor Only...

Install win xp pro from hdd [ 7 Answers ]

How to install WIN XP PRO from HDD?

New shower install [ 3 Answers ]

I want to install a shower in a room next to where there is an existing toilet and sink. My question is on venting the new shower. I have access to the basement area, can I hook up the shower drain to the existing sink drain in the basement area. Will this properly vent the new shower? The...

New Install on Toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I am doing a total remodeling job on a pier and beam house, all new plumbing and electric. We are adding a new bathroom. Sub floor is 3/4" treated plywood and will have linoleum as the finish. How far is the toilet flange placed from the wall? And do I have to install a closet flange? Main...

View more questions Search