Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2008, 07:50 AM
    Which should I believe?
    I have an odd situation that I am hoping that people can give me advice on.

I have been taking Trink back out to a dog park once a week to burn off excess energy. (I have recently moved and don't have a yard right now, which is where I used to let her do this.) She is fine on the trip to the park, but to get to the actual dog park, we need to walk past two playing fields. And during that part of the walk, you would swear that I was dragging her off to a fate worse than death She stops, her tail's tucked down between her legs, she will actually lean against me trembling. But when we get into the dog park, she does OK. She'll hang back at first, and doesn't really "play" with the other dogs, but she will eventually start wandering around greeting the other dogs and getting pets. Her tail will be back at normal position, ears up, and she will hang out with other dogs, either following them around or sometimes leading them. She just doesn't understand the swirling-around type of play that dogs do, and doesn't chase balls, so when the other dogs do that she wanders off to say hello to other dogs. And she will eventually go for a run, where last night she even had a few of the younger large dogs trying to keep up with her. And she is not at all keen to leave!

So... do I believe the initial impression that she hates going there, or how she acts when she is actually there? And is there any way of making the walk to the park entrance less of an ordeal?

The one thing I am thinking is that getting to the park, the way I go, involves shortcutting across a wide bed of wood chips. And that she may not like being on those. And that there is a lot of activity going on in the multi-use fields, which may be upsetting her. So... thoughts?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 8, 2008, 07:53 AM
    It sounds like the journey to the park is upsetting her, not the actual park itself. What breed is she? Some breeds are just more sensitive than others, sounds like you have a sensitive little girl on your hands. If she has fun at the park then I say keep taking her, maybe find a different route to get there and see if that works to help allay her fears.

Good Luck.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2008, 08:00 AM
    Froggy I would talk to her in an excited voice while exiting the car and all the way through the park. I would also have a nice smelly treat in my hand closest to her nose and give her a nibble of it here and there.
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

May 8, 2008, 09:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    I have an odd situation that I am hoping that people can give me advice on.

I have been taking Trink back out to a dog park once a week to burn off excess energy. (I have recently moved and don't have a yard right now, which is where I used to let her do this.) She is fine on the trip to the park, but to get to the actual dog park, we need to walk past two playing fields. And during that part of the walk, you would swear that I was dragging her off to a fate worse than death She stops, her tail's tucked down between her legs, she will actually lean against me trembling. But when we get into the dog park, she does ok. She'll hang back at first, and doesn't really "play" with the other dogs, but she will eventually start wandering around greeting the other dogs and getting pets. Her tail will be back at normal position, ears up, and she will hang out with other dogs, either following them around or sometimes leading them. She just doesn't understand the swirling-around type of play that dogs do, and doesn't chase balls, so when the other dogs do that she wanders off to say hello to other dogs. And she will eventually go for a run, where last night she even had a few of the younger large dogs trying to keep up with her. And she is not at all keen to leave!

So... do I believe the initial impression that she hates going there, or how she acts when she is actually there? And is there any way of making the walk to the park entrance less of an ordeal?

The one thing I am thinking is that getting to the park, the way I go, involves shortcutting across a wide bed of wood chips. And that she may not like being on those. And that there is a lot of activity going on in the multi-use fields, which may be upsetting her. So... thoughts?
    Try taking her to the dog park at a different time of day when the playing fields are not busy and see if she is less worried. If so, then the source of her worry is the activity on the playing fields. One way to help her with this is to give her treats (as bushg suggests) as you walk through this area. Then she will associate this area with "good things" and stop being so apprehensive.

I don't think the wood chips are a problem - I've never seen a dog exhibit any problems walking on wood chips. You can test for this by avoiding the "shortcut" and see if she is any different if you take the long way around.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 10, 2008, 10:02 AM
    The noise and commotion from the playing fields upset her. If there is another way into the dog park find and use that instead. Could help her reluctance to go.
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2008, 10:08 AM
    Unfortunately, the dog park is in the very back rear corner of the park, so there is no way to get to it without going past the playing fields. And it may be that seeing other dogs on leashes bothers her as well.

But I will try the happy talk and smelly treats and see how that goes. If I can keep her distracted and moving I think I will have a better time.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 11, 2008, 04:45 PM
    Hi again Froggy,

I thought I would come on your thread instead of talking to you on the other. I saw your question yesterday, and I knew I had seen something on another site I go to. It's strictly an animal site, by quite simialar to AMHD. I tried to go on there to see if I could find the info that I saw about animals getting afraid when on walks. Unfortunately, their page was down, or I would've looked to try and help you out with Trinks problem.

What kind of a prob does Trink have with her neck? Poor baby!

Here's the link if you'd like to check it out! They actually have some awesome info on it and a forum also, so you can ask questions, and there are vets and experts on there too. Not to say that there aren't good experts on here too of course, but like I said it's strickly a pet site and they deal mostly with dogs.

Pet information - dog information - cat information - Canada's pet information center for dogs cats and humans

Good Luck, and when I have time I will look for that particular Q&A I saw. I'm new to that site, so I haven't quite figured out how to navigate around myself.

(just call me Starby... everyone else does, lol)
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2008, 06:53 PM
    I think I have figured out what was making Trink act funny. And the answer is... soccer balls. Went to the park on Monday, when there wasn't anything scheduled, and she was fine until we started walking past two guys that were kicking a soccer ball around, at which point she just froze and stared at them. And it occurred to me... they are white, they roll along the ground (mostly) in random directions relatively fast. Which is exactly what a greyhound lure does. It doesn't have the lure sound, though, which is why I think she may have been confused and trying to figure out what was going on.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 27, 2008, 08:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    I think I have figured out what was making Trink act funny. And the answer is... soccer balls. Went to the park on Monday, when there wasn't anything scheduled, and she was fine until we started walking past two guys that were kicking a soccer ball around, at which point she just froze and stared at them. And it occurred to me... they are white, they roll along the ground (mostly) in random directions relatively fast. Which is exactly what a greyhound lure does. It doesn't have the lure sound, though, which is why I think she may have been confused and trying to figure out what was going on.
    In that case Froggy, I would buy a soccer ball. A bit of reverse phychology. Bring it home, and just put it down. Don't try and play with her with it. Just let her get used to it. If she tries to play with it at first, give her whatever command you use. After awhile, let her play with it if she wants to. When you want her to stop, give her your command, so she knows that you are in charge, and it is her command to ignore.

When going to the park, don't talk to her, don't look at her, just walk like you have a mission to get to the place you are going. If she stops and throws a fit, stop, give the quick command with short upwards jerk on her leash, and then just start walking. Again with no words, other than your short command. Just a quick jerk of the leash, and a very forceful no, or whatever you want to use will do.

If you let her know that you are going, and you are not going to fight with her, or baby her, it should work. It may take several times, but eventually she'll catch on.

Hope that helps some! :)
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2008, 10:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8
    In that case Froggy, I would buy a soccer ball. A bit of reverse phychology. Bring it home, and just put it down. Don't try and play with her with it. Just let her get used to it. If she tries to play with it at first, give her whatever command you use. After awhile, let her play with it if she wants to. When you want her to stop, give her your command, so she knows that you are in charge, and it is her command to ignore.

When going to the park, don't talk to her, don't look at her, just walk like you have a mission to get to the place you are going. If she stops and throws a fit, stop, give the quick command with short upwards jerk on her leash, and then just start walking. Again with no words, other than your short command. Just a quick jerk of the leash, and a very forceful no, or whatever you want to use will do.
    Oh, now that I know what she's doing, it's not a problem. You have to understand, she doesn't throw fits. She just stops. So, as long as she's not doing it because she doesn't want to go, it's fine. And I'm thinking I will get her a soccer ball of her own (one of the small ones, not a full-size one), because she doesn't currently play with any kind of toy. No stuffies, no balls, no ropes, no squeakies, nothing. She likes her kongs, but she doesn't really play with them... just eats out of them. If a soccer ball can get her to actually play, then I'm all for it.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 27, 2008, 10:48 PM
    That sounds cool Froggy! I hope she loves the soccer ball! I didn't realise she just stopped, but didn't put up a fight. Sounds like you have it under control then! :)

Her pic is small, but she looks like a cutie! But then, got to love them all, even with all of their quirky behaviours! ;)

EDIT: I don't know much about Greyhounds. What is a Greyhound Lure?. if you don't mind telling me. I think I get the general idea, but I'm curious!?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2008, 04:56 AM
    Oh , froggy poor Trink she must be such a good girl to see a soccer ball out in the field and not go after it. I hope she loves it when you get her one. It makes me sad that she doesn't play with toys. But at least she has the enjoyment of her kong. Keep us posted and let us know how she likes the ball.
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2008, 07:29 PM
    Greyhounds were originally bred to hunt rabbit, gazelle, coyote, that sort of game. Now, they use lures instead. The ones I've seen at "fun runs" tend to be grocery bags tied to a string that is pulled along the ground by a series of pulleys. It has a very distinct whirring sound to it. The interesting thing is that Trink is absolutely lure-obsessed. But the plastic bag is not exciting at all unless it's moving. And I think that the soccer ball is the opposite problem.. it's moving, but not making the right sound. So she doesn't quite know what to do.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 28, 2008, 10:16 PM
    Ahhhh, yes I see. Hence the dog races. I understand what you mean now. Since I live in a city where they don't have dog tracks, I forgot that some people race them, and use lures like that. Thank God they don't race them anywhere near where I live, and I wish they didn't race them anywhere! I've seen too many horrific pics of what they do to the losers, and the ones who get too old to race. I'm glad Trink has you, and I hope she enjoys her soccer ball! :)
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2008, 10:36 PM
    I'm of two minds about the dog races, myself. If it weren't for them, there wouldn't be anywhere near the number of greyhounds that there are now. Last numbers I saw put the number of AKC greyhounds born in the US per year at under 200, versus the tens of thousands born to race. And greyhounds love to run, the same way border collies love to herd. And they are absolutely gorgeous to watch when they run. On the other hand, racing greyhounds are livestock, not pets, and that part I don't like. Nor the fact that so many of them are killed if they can't run. But being livestock means that they aren't pampered, and thus the breed is kept relatively healthy. So it's not easy to come down on one side of the fence, especially since I am, in a way, benefitting from the sport.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 28, 2008, 11:05 PM
    I see what you mean. It's just so heartbreaking to see the pics of the ones that they treat as livestock, and as someone's meal ticket. They just let them suffer, or kill them when they are no longer a winner.

My parents live in FL. and there were many tracks around there. I was visiting one yr. and another friend came to visit, and wanted to go to the tracks. At the time I really didn't understand what it was all about, so I went along. I was absolutely appalled at what I saw going on. I remember reading in the paper shortly afterwards, that there were a bunch of people arrested, and the track was shut down.

I know it is in their blood to run, and they are beautiful dogs! They should do what they love to do. But when greed outweighs humanity, they really need to keep a close eye on the owners of these tracks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search