Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lildachs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 06:37 AM
    Drained my Vinyl-lined Pool, Is there still hope?
    My pool is a fairly standard 16 x 32 rectangle with 4' radius corners and 8' molded plastic/fiberglass steps in the shallow end. After 14 years, I decided to drain :eek: my vinyl-lined pool this year. It was uncovered over the fall & winter, was full of leaves and algae, and it seemed like a good idea to just drain it and start over. Now, the liner has pulled away from the corners, especially in the shallow end. I have vacuumed the air from behind the liner, which works great for the deep end of the pool, but the corners in the shallow end won't vacuum all the way back against the walls at the bottom. There is also air behind the liner across the bottom of the steps, extending out for about 8 inches onto the pool bottom before the liner actually touches the bottom of the pool again. The liner seems stiff and unyielding... just doesn't want to stretch back into those corners. There is a nickel-sized area on the bottom corner of the steps where the liner has pulled out from under the seal/gasket. Otherwise, all other liner/gasket seals appear to be intact.

Is there any hope of somehow patching the nickel-sized hole at the bottom corner of the steps? Can it be patched, or can I remove the trim and gasket from around the steps and put the liner back in place? I don't want to replace a liner with no holes or tears, other than one tiny area where the liner just pulled loose from under a gasket.

Just for the record, if I could back up to about two weeks ago, I would have NEVER drained this perfectly functioning 14-year-old pool!! It's the dumbest thing I've done in a very long time.
    lildachs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lildachs
    My pool is a fairly standard 16 x 32 rectangle with 4' radius corners and 8' molded plastic/fiberglass steps in the shallow end. After 14 years, I decided to drain :eek: my vinyl-lined pool this year. It was uncovered over the fall & winter, was full of leaves and algae, and it seemed like a good idea to just drain it and start over. Now, the liner has pulled away from the corners, especially in the shallow end. I have vacuumed the air from behind the liner, which works great for the deep end of the pool, but the corners in the shallow end won't vacuum all the way back against the walls at the bottom. There is also air behind the liner across the bottom of the steps, extending out for about 8 inches onto the pool bottom before the liner actually touches the bottom of the pool again. The liner seems stiff and unyielding... just doesn't want to stretch back into those corners. There is a nickel-sized area on the bottom corner of the steps where the liner has pulled out from under the seal/gasket. Otherwise, all other liner/gasket seals appear to be intact.

Is there any hope of somehow patching the nickel-sized hole at the bottom corner of the steps? Can it be patched, or can I remove the trim and gasket from around the steps and put the liner back in place? I don't want to replace a liner with no holes or tears, other than one tiny area where the liner just pulled loose from under a gasket.

Just for the record, if I could back up to about two weeks ago, I would have NEVER drained this perfectly functioning 14-year-old pool !!! It's the dumbest thing I've done in a very long time.
    Believe it or not, we managed to get the liner back into place, patched the hole at the corner of the steps, and have a filled pool with balanced water! To stretch the liner, besides using two ShopVacs, it is truly amazing what can be done with HOT WATER (about 180 degrees!) and a BLOW DRYER! A wet/dry vinyl patch kit and a couple of tubes of wet/dry epoxy pool putty stopped all but a minor leak... about 1/2" to 1" per 24 hours. Using red food coloring mixed with water in a syringe, we found leaking areas around the steps. We patched what we could, given that the water is still COLD and cannot be tolerated for more than 5 to 10 minutes at a time. Once the water warms up enough to get in comfortably, we will use the food coloring to find where the remaining small leak is (probably also around the steps) and patch it completely. It took us about 6 or 7 hours to get all the wrinkles out and get the liner stretched back into place, but it was certainly less expensive than a new liner ($5000!! ). I have learned my lesson... NEVER drain a vinyl-lined inground swimming pool without at least consulting a professional. I know now that it can be done without causing damage, but only if you are completely prepared and know exactly what to do (and what NOT to do!).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

TUB Leaks when drained [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a second story tub that is leaking as soon as the water is released to the drain. Although I have a first floor powder room directly underneath the tub the ceiling is not wet. Rather the water seems to be running down the waste line and onto my basement ceiling tile. I can see...

18.5 b&s drained 1 gallon of gas out of oil [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 18.5 B&S ran fine for about thirty minutes ran out of gas. After putting in new gas it will only run about 4 seconds blows a lot of smoke and drained a gallon of gas out of the oil reservoir. What might have caused this?

Bubble noise in toilets, septic tanks just drained [ 7 Answers ]

Started about 2 weeks ago, both toilets, back to back rooms, started making bubbling noises, then would not flush. Let sit water in bowl goes down, let sit even longer I could flush a couple times normal then would start backing up again. Tub and sinks and everything seem to drain fine no problem....

Vinyl pool liners [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a vinyl inground pool installed. My question is do I have to install the brick coping prior to installing the liner??

Drained central heating [ 1 Answers ]

I have drained my vented central heating system to clear sludge. The header tank has refilled but the system has not. I have removed the pump which was full of debris but there is no water coming out of the pipe from the header tank to the pump (a drop of eight feet). On loosening the compression...

View more questions Search