Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emerald602 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 08:52 PM
    Spousal Abandonment
    I live in California. My husband left 26 yrs ago and I have not seen him since. I never got a divorce and assume that he didn't either. When I went to apply for a County Health program to get medical care they said that I had to file for abandonment or they would need proof of his income.

I went to the courthouse and they couldn't tell me anything. I don't know how to go about doing this. This is crazy. Does anyone know anything about doing this? Does it cost and is it a lengthy and difficult process? I only have until June 8 to do this.

Thanks
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2008, 09:06 PM
    Welcome to AMHD. You might click on the California link and see if it helps.
    Do It Yourself Divorce: Divorce Forms and Divorce Papers Available Online
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 08:36 AM
    If you know his SSN I would suggest that you look online at one of the search sites for social security numbers and see if he is still alive. I found out that my husband who left me a few years back was dead. Now I don't have to divorce him Ha ha. You just might get lucky also. Even if you don't know the SSN, if you know his full name and date of birth you could look him up that way. If he is deceased, you'll know pretty quick. 26 years is a long time. Lots of things can happen in 26 years. Worth a try anyway.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2008, 10:12 AM
    Some very good answers, and in general, you really need to file for divorce which is not hard but I would use an attorney locally to guide you though the process

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spousal support [ 1 Answers ]

My husband's ex wife remarried and he is still paying her spousal support, is he supposed to still pay her

Spousal Benefits [ 2 Answers ]

I pulled off SS site Answer ID504 regarding this question " My wife doesn't have enough work to qualify for SS or Medicare. Can she use my records?" Answer applies to husbands as well. She can draw as early as 62 it says if the number holder is already drawing benefits. Here's our info to help...

Spousal Support [ 10 Answers ]

In my final divorce decree. I am responsible to pay spousal support to my ex-wife for two years. I live in Virginia State. Now, during the two years my ex-wife got married and never informed the courts of the legal change in her maritiall status! My question is whether or not the spousal support...

Spousal Support [ 2 Answers ]

I am in divorce now. No minor children, married for 25 years. Do I still have to pay spusal support and is DissoMaster the correct way for this purpose?

View more questions Search