Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dgafxxx Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 07:10 PM
    Permanent resident card for someone who entered the country illegally
    I'm trying to help out a guy I know.

He came from Mexico about 10 years ago, if I had to guess I would think he came over illegally. Anyhow as far as I know he's stayed out of trouble the whole time he's been here. My brother wants to hire him, but doesn't want to until he can obtain a green card.

Can someone obtain a green card easily if they entered the country illegally?

If so what steps does it take, and what's the average amount of time it can take.

I think he has never tried to do it before, because of fear of being deported.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

May 7, 2008, 09:19 PM
    First, he is not qualified for work visas if he entered US without inspection or overstayed the visa.

Second, he may become legal if he marries a US citizen but this is not an easy path. He will have to file a waiver and get an approval in order to adjust his status, plus he will have hard time proving that it's not a sham marriage.

Since 9/11 there are many changes in immigration laws and it's not easy anymore.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Illegally entered the United states [ 3 Answers ]

My sisters lover and her snuck through the Canadian border then proceeded to Nevada , where she coaxed me into marrying her lesbian lover and with promises of taking care of me faked the INS interview to get approval to live here.We never had sex or even kissed and I left almost 2 years ago to...

Abandonment of Lawfull permanent resident card.now what? [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: OMG!! I really need help. My case is probably not the regular. My names Nicole. I´m a German Citzen even though my dad an ex military (army) retiree is an American Citizen (my mom is German). I just got married the 30th of May 07 in New York to my American Husband spontaniously and...

View more questions Search