Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    been40 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 02:01 PM
    What types of smoke detectors to buy for each room
    I am redoing all of my 4 smoke detectors in my house and I like to add more to other areas.
    The current ones are FIREX using AC (not battery operating) all linked together through the red wire (14/3 wire, black: Hot, white:netual, Red:connects all the 4 smoke detectors).

Here is the location of the current 4 I have: (4 levels: basement, 1st floor, 2nd floor, attic)
    1 in the basement, next to the stair case going up
    1 in the 1st floor, next to the stair case going up
    1 in the 2nd floor, a few feet away from the bathroom
    1 in the walk-up attic

I believe all 4 are ionization type.

I like to replace them all with the appropriate smoke detectors type, and also
    Add one to the 4 bedrooms on the 2nd floor.

Questions:
    1. There are ionization type (radioactive type), and photo electric type, also ones
    With both (which people claim has false alarm alot), as well as one with monoxide
    Detector. Kiddie brand seems have lot's of options. Which one should go to which
    Room? More specific details, below.

2. I partitioned the basement into basement play room, and a separate utility room
    Where oil-tanks, heating system, water tanks, circuit breaker lives. What type should
    I put in the basement, and what type in utility room?

3. what type on the 1st floor. I have a kitchen that's 10-15 feet away from it.

4. what type on the 2nd floor, where is only a few feet from the bathroom,
    Which has steam in the area from taking showers.

5. Since attic gets either super hot or super cold (it's unfinished), what type
    Should I put in the attic.

6. Finally, with bedroom doors closed at night until morning, what type
    Should I put in the bedrooms? Each Bedroom typically has a bed with a mattress.
    Wood desk, clothes, etc.

Thanks in advance
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 7, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Besides each floor, 1 in each bed room, AND outside of each bedroom. 1 in hall may be used if doors are next to each other.
    Most Big Construction stores have 120 volt with battery backup and interconnected. A heat detector may be better in Kitchen.
    They also make wirekess interconnected smokes that are handy if wiring is impossible or unsightly.
    been40 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 06:19 AM
    Thanks for your response.
    Any idea on which smoke detector sensor's type is good for the rooms I listed in my post?
    Thanks again,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smoke Detectors Going off for no reason [ 13 Answers ]

Our smoke detectors in our home go off in the middle of the night for no reason. It starts w/ one and then before you know it all of them are going off. We have tried to vacumn them but they still go off at least once a month. They are only 4 years old.

Smoke detectors going off [ 12 Answers ]

Our smoke/fire detectors went off in the middle of the night--the one downstairs first, then the one upstairs, with no detectable cause. We opened some windows and the shrieking stopped. What could have caused this? This morning as we sat at the breakfast table, a bright light flashed above...

Smoke detectors going off [ 1 Answers ]

Our smoke detectors are wired and have a battery in them. Theyare going off during the day about 10 20 times during the day, but after 6pm they do not go off at all. I changed all batteries and re set the breaker in the box but nothing.Please help me because they are driving my wife and kids crazy...

Smoke detectors [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Besides the smoke detector that is require in the hallway, does the NEC require also to install them in all bedrooms or only in the master bedroom? Thanks

Smoke Detectors: Something is not right [ 2 Answers ]

I have 5 detectors in the house: 1 in the basement, 1 in the MBR on the first floor, and 3 upstairs in the bedroom. The detector in the basemet has a Green LED on. I am assuming it is the first detector in that circuit coming from the breaker box. Inside the basement detector are 4 other...

View more questions Search