Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gelagasse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 08:27 AM
    450 mfd capacitor replaced by a 370 mfd
    I don't very much about capacitors but I have a supplier that insists that a 40 mfd 370 VAC rated running capacitor can adequately replace a 40 mfd 450 VAC rated one. Based on what I read, a starting capacitor can vary by up to 10% but that running capacitors must be matched perfectly.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 7, 2008, 11:35 AM
    They are both 40 uf and operating off a 240 volt source. Just fine. Give him a beer for giving him such a hard time. He's right.
    gelagasse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 01:24 PM
    So that I can advise customers in the future, where on this capacitor does it say 240 volts? I see 450 VAC, 50/60 Hz
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 7, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Well, since this is a DIY board, and domestic voltages are 240 VAC, so I assumed 240.
    The voltage rating of the capacitor must be greater than the line voltage. Hence 370 and 450 V are greater than 240, so your OK. The higher voltage introduces a higher safety and likely the lower voltage has a lower ESR (Effective series resistance). This will not likely matter.

The start cap uf value is more critical than a run cap, if used. The run cap may change the speed.

Extension cords, for instance, come in 300V and 600V ratings.
    Ken66220 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2013, 03:04 PM
    Many 450VAC capacitors are used on the secondary side of a transformer (lighting ballast) where the voltage is 400+VAC. While the supply voltage is from 120 to 277VAC a 370VAC capacitor is not adequate. While in this situation a 370 VAC capacitor may work, it is really not adequate protection for the real voltage incurred. I would use caution when the substitution is not up to OEM specs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Start capacitor/ run capacitor info [ 3 Answers ]

OK I think I have narrowed my problem down to either a run capacitor or my start capacitor My fan on top of my unit runs but the compressor will hum for about 3-5 seconds every 5 minutes or so . Is it possible for my duel run capacitor to let the fan run but not let the compressor run, or is...

Use of a Capacitor [ 1 Answers ]

What is the recent practical application of capacitors ?

Should coil be replaced when AC is replaced? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old 3 ton AC unit on the roof. My house is about 1750 sq ft. Last year, the AC unit stopped working. It could never cool the house down once temperature shoots above 80. I had an AC company come by and added refrigerant thinking that's the problem. It seemed to get worse after the...

Capacitor [ 2 Answers ]

I replaced the fan, motor and the capacitor on my old Kenmore condenser unit. The unit runs well, and cools the house properly. Unfortunately once it cuts off, the motor will not turn unless I jump start it by turning the fan with my hand. Once it start again it runs fine and cools the house...

View more questions Search